ya know what irritates me?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by God'schild, Nov 19, 2010.

1. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

When you are calling someone on their cell and the voice mail picks up and says that you have reached "919-***-****" or whatever the number is and please leave a message. It's not having to leave a message that is the problem. Can people PLEASE say who it is they have reached on there answering machine or voice mail???? I mean, saying your name is not going to cause a STALKER to get you. It makes it easier for whoever is calling to be sure they have called the CORRECT NUMBER or that the number they dialed is still the number for who they tried to reach or does it now belong to someone new. :banghead: This will also make for alot of unknown calls on people's voice mail that they don't even know....So, SAY YOUR NAME AND MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE TO LIVE IN...:)

ok..........rant over

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  2. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

I agree.

3. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

:iagree: that's totally annoying!

4. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Disagree

5. englishbullymom

englishbullymom Well-Known Member

I totally agree with the OP. With that being said, I think it is even worse that hubby and I say on our answering machine, "Hi, you've reached "Bob and Sally." We're unavaible right now..." and THEN we still get messages for Suzy or Rachel or John:banghead: I mean come on, the machine SAYS who lives here people!! If you're not trying to reach one of us, then don't leave a message for some other random person thinking I'm going to track them down or even take the time to call your dumb self back to let you know you called the wrong number. Sorry, but some things you just can't fix...:banghead:

*sorry for my own rant, back to the originally scheduled program:lol:

6. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

I disagree too.... u should know who u are calling to begin with....lol

7. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Although I haven't checked in ages, and in my case anyone who knows me already knows I am not home, I have to disagree. Those of us without landlines and that turn off our phones in social occasions or while working might not want anyone to know we are not home.

8. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Voice mail? Dang, what will they think of next?

9. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Texting maybe?

10. God'schild

I agree with that. But, if the person you are calling does not let you know of new numbers, like if they are a client of a firm and do not provide the right numbers......hey, what are ya supposed to do? So I leave a message anyway. If the person is NOT the person I needed to get to, they'll just have to understand......And if it is the only number I have for who I need to get a hold of, I may have to call until I am told different.

11. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

No way, if they can do that, then they should be able to invent stamps that don't have to be licked.

12. Cleopatra

Or pause live television. Ho ho ho... There's an idea.

13. God'schild

It does not always have to mean you are not at home. You could be lazy.....like myself at times :mrgreen: and not feel answering or just be screening your calls.

By not letting the voice mail state who you've reached leaves the door open to receive calls that may not be for you. Now, I have left a message and some have called back and said that they are not who I was calling but that it sounded important enough for them to let me know so that I can get up with who I needed to a different way. But not all the time. To me it would just make things easier.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  14. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

And I suppose you'll want to be able to record programs to watch later and fast forward through the commercials when you do watch them.

15. Cleopatra

AND program it from your PC at work....

16. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

What's a stamp?

17. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Postage, tax, or tramp? :?

18. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

...pet peeve: when people call you and ask "...who is this?"...I dunno, who da ya want it to be? Brad Pitt? Superman? Your long-dead uncle Mort? YOU called ME!

Back on topic, many folks leave the outgoing message generic for good reasons.

19. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Cell phone records are a bit easier to obtain from what I have read. You share your name with the number and a scammer need only trick one person at your phone company and they've got info like your billing address and possibly your SS#. Did you know that there are companies online that claim they will sell cell phone records for a price? Furthermore, if the wrong person gets your phone number and get your name, they can definitely cause you problems if nothing more than being a nuisance. My MIL got somebody calling her so regularly, she had to get a new number.

It's privacy vs. convenience.

20. irishluck

irishluck Well-Known Member

Sounds like OP has been calling the wrong number and leaving VMs and is now embarrassed. Haha

I like the standard VM greeting. Like other people said you should know who you are calling lol I leave mine standard because I get wrong numbers occasionally (and apparently someone was handing mine out at one point to elude people) and I have a unique last name and I appreciate a certain amount of anonymity. If they leave a message I kindly call them back and let them know they have the wrong number.