Help - mice

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by esther, Nov 19, 2010.

1. esther

esther Active Member

Hi everyone - I'm always on reading and keeping up with whats going on in our community but this is only the 2nd time I've posted.
    We live in Waverly Point and we have MICE!!! Just threw out the 6th one in about 3 weeks and this morning when I woke up I heard them behind the kitchen wall chewing. Does anyone know of a reputable exterminator, I can't take it anymore. thanks

2. arogronjomom

arogronjomom Well-Known Member

I highly recommend Bob Wendell of "Bob the Kritter Gitter Pest Control" at 919-773-9112.

Kind of a hokey name but a fantastic guy and wonderful customer service. We used them on a quarterly preventative basis when we lived in their service area and I haven't been able to find anyone half as good since we moved so much farther out. He doesn't try to sell you more than you want or need and is a one man show. His wife, Christine, runs the office and he does the work. He has a ton of long standing customers if you'd like to get a reference beforehand. At that time we had 3 cats, a dog and 4 young(er) children and I never had to worry about his products hurting any of us or the furry family members. I completely trust him and that's hard to find these days.

We live in the middle of field that is former farmland and, not surprisingly, had some mice in our walls/under the house/cabinets last fall. The company we were using put some kind of bait traps that I guess I didn't understand how they worked or they didn't explain it well enough or whatever. But, the end result was that a mouse (or mice) fed off the traps and died in the wall of one of my son's bedrooms. The smell was absolutely horrible and the bodies were impossible to find. My husband cut several holes through the walls and the sheet rock looking for them but never was able to pinpoint exactly where they were. We closed off the room and the adjacent bathroom that he shares with his sister and basically, I pretended his room didn't exist for about 2 months. He slept in one of his brothers bedrooms for a couple months and we just opened up his window and ran a fan when the weather wasn't too cold. I *swear* I can still smell that smell in his closet although the rest of my family thinks I am crazy or simply traumatized by the whole situation. Probably a little bit of both ;-)

Just my cautionary tale about taking care of a mice issue. I was really wishing Bob serviced our area last year because I know it wouldn't have happened the way it did.

3. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Neuse Pest Control - 919-553-9888 - Tracy Coats

4. sacosta

sacosta Well-Known Member

5. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

6. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

We normally get 1 mouse every winter, usually December or later. This year, we already got 1 a couple of weeks ago and TWO this week! What is the deal? I would say that maybe if you live in an area where there is new construction, they are being driven out of the woods or fields. But, that isn't the case at our house. I can't stand the old fashioned "snappy" traps but so far that's the only thing that has gotten the little nasty critters. My husband normally isn't home during the week and I hate to set those things; I use glue traps and have had success with them in the past but not this time. I bought some of the bait things but haven't put them out yet because I DO NOT want them dying somewhere in my walls or under cabinets where I can't get them out. YUK!!

7. esther

esther Active Member

help mice

I thank you for all answering me. I really don't want someone coming in and just putting pellets around to kill the mice, because like several of you have said, they die in the walls and you can't find them. I need someone to look and find out where they are getting in. They have to be coming up through the crawl space from outside somewhere?? We thought we found the entrance yesterday when we pulled the dryer out and there was an opening between the vent and the wall. My husband sealed that all up and this morning is when I heard them in the kitchen wall. I just can't stand the thought of them in the house, and it's only one half of the house??? thanks for your help.....

8. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

IBM Mouse Balls...
    "Memo of the Month," From The Washington Monthly, January/February 1991, page 24:

This is an actual alert to IBM Field Engineers that went out to all IBM Branch Offices. The person who wrote it was very serious. The rest of us find it rather funny.

Abstract: Mouse Balls Available as FRU (Field Replacement Unit)

Mouse balls are now available as FRU. Therefore, if a mouse fails to operate or should it perform erratically, it may need a ball replacement. Because of the delicate nature of this procedure, replacement of mouse balls should only be attempted by properly trained personnel.

Before proceeding, determine the type of mouse balls by examining the underside of the mouse. Domestic balls will be larger and harder than foreign balls. Ball removal procedures differ depending upon manufacturer of the mouse. Foreign balls can be replaced using the pop-off method. Domestic balls are replaced using the twist-off method. Mouse balls are not usually static sensitive. However, excessive handling can result in sudden discharge. Upon completion of ball replacement, the mouse may be used immediately.

It is recommended that each replacer have a pair of spare balls for maintaining optimum customer satisfaction, and that any customer missing his balls should suspect local personnel of removing these necessary items.

To re-order, specify one of the following:

P/N 33F8462 - Domestic Mouse Balls
    P/N 33F8461 - Foreign Mouse Balls

9. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

mice control

A cat in the house and or a snake in the attic will keep them mices at bay.

10. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Who wants a snake in their attic? :ack:

11. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Got 5 in my office......a red tail, 2 balls, and 2 corns.

Oh and 7 cats as well in the house.

12. Ecugyrl

Ecugyrl Well-Known Member

Get a cat.

13. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

i guess thats why we don't see any mice!!!

14. redtangsoo

redtangsoo Well-Known Member

go into the crawlspace and be sure the vents are closed,then look look for light leaks, this is where the mice get in, also look at the crawlspace doors, is there trim all around preventing entry or just a jam,if so add full trim to seal the door, and around the basement look for ductwork or pipes going outside Look at the places where the pipes go up into the house, is there space, seal if there is. look at the gas pipe coming into the fireplace be sure the seal is not popped off leaving entry. do you leave doors open, do you have screen doors, is there a gap at the bottom, they will run right up to and under the door even during the day. do these things add traps and save yourself some cash.:jester:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  15. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

Man, I hate these little buggers!

I use snap traps in the garage and barn-at least you can confirm the kill that way (yeah, it's gross, but if you're willing to kill 'em you should at least be willing to look 'em in the eye).

Eliminate entry points with spray foam and deprive them of food/ opportunity where you can.

It's a war this time of year...

16. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

I get them every winter, and I have used the sticky traps, but turns out I don't need them anymore, when I hear or spot well signs of having one, I know my cats will get them, I let them in my room at night and they always get it. Thank god they don't eat them though ugh:ack:

17. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

Or a Terrier! No mouse will dare put a foot inside a house with a Terrier! My Westie used to actively hunt for mice and other vermin inside and outside, we never had a mouse problem. She even killed a small snake that thought our deck was a good sun spot to bask in.

Since she passed away, "mouse patrol" has moved to the Cairn.

18. esther

esther Active Member

help mice

thank you all who took time to give me pointers to get rid of these creepy critters. I can't imagine them in my bedroom !!!!!!!! thank you

19. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

We moved into our brand new house 5 years ago, the day after Thanksgiving. By the first week of December we had mice. Everywhere, everyday. It was horrible. My husband who is not bothered by much, does not like mice at all and is really no help. And I of course don't want to have anything to do with them, so we were at a loss. Thank God for my oldest son! Anyway...we tried all kind of traps and not much worked. We did find peanut butter on the "regular" traps worked good, because they'd get stuck. don't even bother with cheese.

Then there's the glue traps, they're supposed to be more humane, because they don't kill the mice. Only problem is, how are you going to get rid of the mouse after that? (that's where my son was a big help). We never did find where they were coming from, and we probably had at least 15 each winter. One time (I swear this is true) there was one IN a toy boat IN my tub! Funniest thing ever!! Anyway, 2 years ago we got a cat, and haven't seen any mice alive since then (a few dead ones though).

Long story short = Get a cat! :lol:

I really don't think killing them or trapping them and letting them loose is going to help anything...if they want to come in, they'll come in. Have you ever seen how small the space has to be for them to get through? Not very big! Good luck.

20. jjganny

jjganny Well-Known Member

Not always true about cat-my daughter had a cat, big dog & mice. Used snap-got-u type traps. Think she is rid of them(at least this week).