Help! Hand Held Learning Thingys!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Nov 19, 2010.

1. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Little Bit is getting some sort of handheld learning device for Christmas. The problem is that I haven't bought one of these things in 10 years....I have no clue as to which is really a better value for the money. I'm reading reviews online, but would like to know if anyone has any personal experience with any of them.

Specifically, I'm looking at...

Fisher Price iXL 6 in one learning center

LeapFrog Leapster Explore or LeapSter 2

V Tech V Learner

Thanks!

2. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

Haven't scoped them all out b/c ours was a present from Poppy...but our kids all LOVE our Leapster 2, and it has been very educational. Also a great chillin'-out tool when we need them to just sit for a bit.

3. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Leapster 2 definitely. Thing I and II each have one.

4. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

uh no idea, my kids learned on Nintendo:lol::lol::lol:

5. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Uhmmmm....try the original pong console then an atari 2600

6. blessed2adopt2

blessed2adopt2 Well-Known Member

without a doubt, leapster

without a doubt, get the leapster. I have them for my 2 sets of kids...my own at home and I use them in the classroom. If you decide to get one, be sure to buy the charging station. It's well worth the $. Also, get kid size headphones

7. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

8. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

no way, it's been 30 years since i've seen one of these!!!!!! i used to love my speak and spell. thank you!!!!!

9. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

also, keep a careful eye out in magazines and in the sunday coupon inserts...there are coupons for leapster games a couple times a year. i haven't seen any for the other types of games.

10. gillac

gillac Well-Known Member

The Fisher Price iXL is also able to function as a MP3 player. Not sure if that is a feature you would use, but it is something to consider.

11. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Jen... Leapster 2s are 50% off on leapfrog.com today - Cyber Monday sale.

I had the joy of purchasing one myself this morning.... as they are not puke-proof. :cuss:

12. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

I was reminded today of Merlin. Remember those?

13. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

I've heard great things about the leapster 2's & actually bought one & lots of games during the Black Friday sales. However, upon closer look ... I really like that books can be downloaded onto the Explorer. I ended up taking the leapster 2 back & buying an Explorer instead. I hope I made the right decision. My next problem was finding an Explorer that wasn't green. Luckily they put some pink/purple ones out at Toys R Us while I was there yesterday. The games were on sale for $19 at Target. At Toys R Us if you bought any 2 Leapster products you got the 3rd free.

14. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

We bought the mobigo.... Hoping it is a hit!

15. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

There is currently a $10 coupon for the Leapster Explorer on Cherio Boxes

16. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Well....

On Black Friday, I was going to buy a Leapster 2 at WalMart, of course, they were gone. So while I was at Kohl's, they had a sign that said their Leapster products (select ones) were $17.99. Under that sign, they had about 30 Leapster Explorer's. So being me, I took one to the register, and it rang up $69.99. I told the lady that I knew that only select ones were on sale for $17.99, but to be fair, this product was right under that sign. So she called a manager. Manager came over, we talked about it, she left for a few minutes and came back to the register. She told the cashier, "She's right, they were stacked right under that sign, and that was deceiving. Give it to her for $17.99 and I'm taking the sign down."

So, the good news is that I bought the Explorer for $17.99. The bad news is that I bought games for a Leapster 2, which apparently aren't compatible.

So at this point, I am trying to figure out if I exchange the games and stay with the Explorer, and exchange the Explorer for a Leapster 2....

Thoughts?

17. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

I too got two Leapster 2's for my boys on Black Friday, total surprise that I got them! We didn't even go out to the stores till about 10 and there were still about 5 on the shelf for the $25.00 price. Bought two and two games, hoping the boys like them!!!

18. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

good job! that's the way to do your black friday shopping!