Another Christmas Tree Farm Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by DontCareHowYouDoItInNY, Nov 19, 2010.

1. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I've been to the Boone area several times over the years to choose and cut our own Christmas Tree. We usually end up at the same farm because we've had an OK experience there each time. I would like to try a new place, but when we get up there it's a little overwhelming so we go with what we know. I have found several lists of farms online and they all look nice, but to us it's not just about the tree. I'd like to find a farm that will make us feel "All Christmassy" and if possible one that is picturesque. Hay rides, petting zoo's and that sort of thing are all a plus as far as adding to the experience.

I'd love to see different people's opinions of the tree farms to help us decide where to go.

Thanks

2. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

All these responses are too much to handle. Now I'm even more confused...

(That's my way of bumping a dead thread)

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

We got ours from a farm in China and it is very low maintenance.

4. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

Thanks Hugh, are there any non-commie's out there that can make a suggestion?

5. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

There's a place on Cornwallis Rd.

From my house...
    pass c3 on the R
    L on Cornwallis
    over the bridge on the L

Trees are cheeeep, no petting zoo, no hot coco tho.

You know it's Saturday and people are doing stuff with their family, they are not at work to post. :lol::lol::lol:

If you wanna come to my house I'll ride ya'll around the yard on my neighbors 4 wheeler? Is that christmassey enough? I got beer. : )

6. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

Thanks for directions from your house....wherever the hell that is.

Now can we get a little closer to the mountains with these?

7. harleygirl

Not from me, sorry dude.

8. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

It's starting to look like a HarleyGirl JoCo Christmas tree trip. Nothing like riding a four wheeler to steal the neighbors Leland Cypress. Do you happen to have a white beard and a big belly?

9. harleygirl

Actually, I have a Santa hat with my name on it (VIXEN), so that makes it all good! :lol::lol:

10. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

11. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Last I heard MamaApe was going to be selling trees this year...where oh where is she to chime in? I think all the 4042ers should go and support her this year. :mrgreen: You're welcome!

12. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

Thanks, but I'm heading to the mountains to get one from a tree farm. I'll probably end up at the same place I've always gone, was just hoping to get some new referrals.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  13. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Tell me more about the tree farm you usually go to, or should I just try one mentioned in this thread?

14. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know. Just thought I'd throw that out there for the locals. Hubby and I love the mountains, I've told him before I'd love to retire out there and start a Xmas tree farm. But he wants to go someplace warm, so that probably won't happen...

15. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

I wish I could remember the name of it. We've only been there twice and the most recent was 8 years ago. What I remember is that you take the Blue Ridge Parkway south from Blowing Rock for 15 miles or so, exit and the place is about a mile up on the right. If you follow the road it's on, it will take you around the base of Grandfather mountain and I think back in to Boone.

The tree farm has a little store with Christmas stuff, it's in a barn. Wait, maybe that was the name, the Red Barn Christmas Tree farm????? I'll Google it to see.
    They have cookies, hot cocoa, and all that stuff. They take you on a hay ride out to the trees. You take a big stick that has measured lines at 1 foot increments to help you pick the right size. When you find one you wave the stick in the air and they will come to you and cut it down. Then they give you and your tree a ride back to the beginning where they will bail it for you for the trip home.

My guess is that most of this is pretty standard for the larger tree farms up there.

Just Googled Red Barn, not it. I'll find out Friday.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  16. harleygirl

17. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

18. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Did you check the two links that I posted?

19. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

About 8-9 years ago we went to Tom Sawyer's Christmas Tree Farm in Glenville, NC. We had never been to a tree farm so can't really compare but we did like this one. Nice selection of trees and I do remember a petting zoo. I don't recall if they had other activities since our girls were a bit old for the "kiddie" things. They had a big red barn that was a gift shop as well as place for food and snacks. It may too far though; we went there because we were spending the weekend at my parents in SC.

20. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

Here is a link to a site I found that lists quite a few out in the NC Mtns...I have been looking because we would like to go cut one over the Thanksgiving holiday. I have been wanting to go do that ever since we moved here.

http://www.pickyourownchristmastree.org/NCxmaswest.php