A Request for food...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Abdulina, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

I'll be brief. I have a friend that lives in Wake Forest. She is a single mom with 4 children. In addition, she has another family w/ 3 kids staying with her (to help w/ expenses). She is self-employed. Her home is paid for,however, she is beyond struggling to pay for even just the basics to survive. She does not know what's going to happen. I will not go into more details than that. Suffice it to say, it has been a series of unfortunate events and losses along the way. Right now, she has no phone and no internet even. Neighbors & friends are helping out as best they can. For now, we just want to get everyone fed for a few more weeks. So, I have a request for this Thanksgiving holiday. I would like to be able to collect a few boxes of food for her & the family to have. This is a family that has done much for their community. Their church paid last month's utility bill but can do no more. I want her to know that there is still good out there & that they will make it through this rough patch.

If anyone is willing to donate food, please let me know. I am going to start collecting for her & will visit them on Thanksgiving. Anything is welcomed. Anything at this point. Anything from canned foods to boxed foods to fresh fruit. If you just have one can to spare, it will be appreciated more than you know. We are going shopping for her this coming weekend. I for one know money is very tight. I have 9 to feed. However, I also know that I have sat down for every single meal this week while she I'm sure has skipped a few. I'm going to collect at my house & would be more than willing to pick stuff up this weekend. Do let me know if anyone is interested in helping this family out. It's just food we're collecting.

Stephanie--mom to 7

2. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Steph-

I have a turkey in my freezer she is welcome to. Touch base with me this weekend.

3. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

when I drop the clothes off for your boys, I'll bring some food too!

4. elims

elims Well-Known Member

I have two coupons for a 'free gallon of milk' from Lowes Foods that I was actually going to see if you could use ... I can pick up the gallon(s) and meet ya somewhere. Do you think they could use two at once, or one this week and one next week, or what?

(Or I could just give you the coupons, they're good til the end of the month, but I'm not sure if you need to use the actual Lowes Foods card at checkout along with the coupon to buy 'em)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  5. Abdulina

Thank you ALL!!! Jennifer, I'll touch base soon. I work during the day babysitting so when I get "nap" breaks, I write on here. LOL. A turkey is a huge blessing for sure. Kell that would be awesome to have a few items. I figure I can put this stuff together over the weekend & go next week to her. Elims, milk is awesome. 2 gallons at once for sure as there are 9 people living there. I'm not sure either if you have to have the card to get the milk so probably buying it. We may just take her some items this weekend as well. You have no idea how much this will help out. Nothing will go to waste, I can assure you of that.

I think it was two years ago on here that our family had experienced crazy medical expenses & other unexpected expenses that year. This community came together & helped us out during a rough patch. I can tell you from personal experience, it was the food that meant so much. Gave us a chance to catch up on medical bills & such. I think everyone goes through a tough time. Having others help you out & then being able to pay it forward later is priceless to me. I want to give this family the Thanksgiving meal they need and hopefully enough food for about 3 weeks after. She is working so hard to try to get life back in order despite things that have happened that were beyond her control. This gift of food will mean more than you can imagine. For those who know where I live, I'll leave a box on the front porch to put food in. Feel free to come any time & put stuff in. This family has no food allergies so nothing is off limits. I want to make sure this one less worry is taken care of for her. She has a grave medical concern she needs to focus on & if we can focus on the food, she can take care of herself & family for a few more weeks. Thanks again to everyone who has responded.

Stephanie-- mom to 7

6. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

Just so you know....You are one awesome lady and I am honored to know you. I'll see you this weekend! :grouphug:

7. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I'll hit my couponing overstock and pull some stuff together for her. Please pm me your address so I can drop it off. It's so nice of you to do this for her. It makes me feel so good to help someone. I truly believe we are blessed for the good deeds we do.

8. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Going to the grocery store Sat for my Thanksgiving shopping. If you can let me know what specifically they need after you get the other contributions, i would be more than happy to pick up a few things.

9. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

Let me know where I can drop off some stuff! :)

10. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

There might just be another turkey for you by next week,if not then some canned goods for sure!

11. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

If I shoot a deer, I'll donate some Venison....maybe a roast and some burger...that'll feed the lot of them....But let's hope my aim is true! Gonna try this saturday night to get one.

12. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I caught a good deal on Stove Top (hubby loves that stuff) so I have some of that as well as other "stuff". I'd be glad to drop it off if you want to pm your addy or if Jennifer is agreeable, I can just get it to her so the turkey and my stuff will be all together. Whatever is best for all involved.

13. ahlsmiles

ahlsmiles Well-Known Member

I'll give food. I just need to know where to bring it.

14. Abdulina

I will let you know. Looks like turkey is covered. I'll let you know what else by Friday. Really, there is such a need for anything & everything. You all have no idea the difference this will make in not only her life but the life of the 7 kids that live there (4 being hers). She will probably kill me for doing this but I'll live w/ the consequences. LOL. She's not the kind that likes to take help but usually the kind always giving help. I know she'll be overwhelmed by the generosity of you all. Thanks everyone. Many have written privately to ask if gift cards are okay. Gift cards are fine. Wake Forest obviously has all the grocery stores we do & she's not too far from them. If you do gift cards, a grocery store would be best as that is what is needed most right now...food. Thanks again.

stephanie-- mom to 7

15. Abdulina

Wanted to say thanks a bunch for those who've dropped off food so far. Can't wait to hopefully fill up a few boxes and take to them. I'll keep collecting until next Wednesday. Gives everyone time over the weekend. Everything and anything is appreciated. Have a wonderful week.

Stephanie-- mom to 7

16. Resident

Resident Well-Known Member

Food

Hi. I have a deep freeze that I have several items in that I'm not planning to use. Some are frozen vegetables, a sweet potato pie or two, and a some other stuff I can't think of right this minute. I was planning to take it to Basic Needs to their food pantry when I get a free minute, but your friend is certainly welcome to any or all of it. I am just wondering if there's any way to donate FROZEN things for her and her family. If not, I completely understand. It's hard sometimes to find the space for it, but if she can use it, I'd be happy to bring it by and it could go in a cooler. Please let me know if you can use any or all of it. It's very a small deep freeze and the things in it could probably fit into a regular cooler. Thanks!

17. softballmom

softballmom Well-Known Member

Stephanie, I will be happy to help out. If you don't mind pm'ing me your address, I will drop stuff off this weekend. :)

Darla

18. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Jennifer is agreeable! LOL

You know where I live, just drop it off whenever you have a chance! LOL

19. Abdulina

We can use anything and everything. I have 2 fridges at the house & 1 subzero deep freeze. (we feed at least 11 here everyday so need the space). I can store frozen & cool stuff here just fine till I go over there. So, anyone please feel free to donate frozen items as well. It will really help. Also, a wonderful lady dropped off items the other day. She put in a bunch of toiletries as well. I never thought about that but that would be good also. Soap, shampoo, feminine products(teen daughter), etc.

Just wanted to thank you all so very much. I will collect items until Wednesday. I'll go to the store on Wednesday (shoot me now...going to the store the day before Thanksgiving LOL) and stock up on some supplies as well. That & I want to take them some fresh fruit as I know that's been lacking lately. Feel free to drop off any time.

Stephanie--mom to 7

20. Abdulina

Wanted to say thank you so much for whoever brought food over tonight. My kids never got a name. URGHH!!! Told them before I left to get a name so I can say thank you. So, thank you and sorry they never got your name. They were too sidetracked by the new puppies!

Stephanie-- mom to 7