Thanksgiving Recipes

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Cleopatra, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Share or Request here.

Request:

KB's sweet potato casserole/concoction...

2. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Recipe for a great baked ham ;)?
    Thanks!

3. AnnetteL

4. On the go

On the go Well-Known Member

1. drive to Honey Baked Ham store
    2. buy ham
    3. drive home
    4. follow directions on ham

:-D:-D:-D

Seriously, though, I have tried many brands of ham, but none taste as good as a honey baked ham......going to pick one up now! :drool:

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Reynolds Oven Cooking bag
    Crushed Pineapple
    Cloves
    The ham of course

Score the ham, stick in the cloves, put it in the bag then slather it in the pineapple, pop it in the oven at 225 degrees, bake approx 8 hrs depending on the size. Put it in the oven when you go to bed and you will wake up to perfect ham.

I love Honeybaked hams as good as anyone, but I can't tell you how good my Grandmother's hams are fixed this way. It's the low and slow baking that makes it so good. You can't rush them. :cheers:

6. AnnetteL

Thanks but we already got a ham ;)

7. AnnetteL

That sounds real good,I'll give it a try,does that work with a half ham as well?
    Thanks!

8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'm sure it would, you would just need to cut the time down I would think.

Someone is probably going to try to ding me on the temp, but we've been doing them this way forever and no one has died yet.:jester:

9. AnnetteL

We'll have a apple pie topped with a homemade caramel/almond topping for desert.
    Sorry,no english version of recipe.

10. AnnetteL

Thanks kdc,I don't have a problem with the temperature ;) I believe I've heard of other stuff such as roast being baked in this slow/low method before with great results.

11. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

Sweet Potato recipe

Candied Sweet Potatoes
    Peel & cook sweet potatoes in water till 1/2 way cooked
    In heavy skillet add 4 cups sugar and 3 cups water and cook on medium heat till thick and syrupy. Add 1 stick butter to the syrup and continue to simmer on med high heat for 20 minutes. Add 2 Tsp vanilla extract (more or less to taste). Add potatoes to the mixture and cook on medium high heat till the syrup is thickened. Keep stirring occasionally and adjusting the heat if necessary, the syrup is easy to scorch. The longer you let the potatoes cook on a low heat, the more the potatoes fall apart and get more tender.

I cooked these today for my family Thanksgiving dinner, YUM!!! Its my Moms recipe.

12. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

I cook my hams like this too, but I use pineapple rings to place on the ham and drain the pineapple juice and mix it with brown sugar and glaze the ham with the juice/sugar mixture while it is cooking. We do hams at Christmas, yummy!

13. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

been trying to find an interesting stuffing recipe

14. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

15. AnnetteL

16. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

:cheers: With the crushed, the juice just runs all around it too, same principal. Orange juice works too. I think we've thrown brown sugar in there too, it just depends on the cooks mood at the time, LOL. I wish we only did these at Chrismas, or at least my waistline does. We have them any time a bunch of us get together. It's easy and feeds a crowd. Holidays, reunions, just any ole excuse will do. :jester:

17. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Well it was recycled! :jester:

18. grandma4

grandma4 Well-Known Member

Hams?? where's the turkey people?? It' s Thanksgiving not Christmas.

19. AnnetteL

As I mentioned-we're having brined turkey breast ;)

20. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Don't know about you, but we always have both. :cheers: