What gas company do you use for your gas log fireplace?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by VolleyGrl, Nov 23, 2010.

1. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

I just moved into my house and need to find a gas company, but want to find the most affordable company. Looking to see who people use and if they are happy. Thanks!

2. wed2x

wed2x Well-Known Member

McCracken Propane, very very happy.

3. Crysta

Crysta Guest

If you search, you'll find several threads on this topic. If you're just using the gas for your fireplace(s), my recommendation is definitely to just buy your own tank. We bought a 100# tank and use about one tank-ful each year. We just take it to the gas station and get it filled, at a price that has always been less than the delivery companies were quoting. Plus we can fill up during the summer or when gas is the cheapest, since we don't use our fireplaces (we have two) much during the summer. The tank is super easy and my husband can move it himself with no problems.

One problem with going with a gas company is that they charge rental fees and such if you don't use a full tank every year, and they'll just come and fill it up automatically, even if you don't really need (or want) anymore gas. My neighbors that use a service have been very vocal recently about how much they hate it.

If you do go with a company, make sure you leverage what your neighbors are paying. Our friends have found that they can get lower rates by negotiating with the gas companies based on what the other neighbors are paying.

Congratulations on the new house!!

4. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

If you have a truck the best way to go is to buy the smaller tank at Lowe's or Home Depot and go fill up yourself, so much cheaper and controllable.

5. VolleyGrl

That's good advice. Thank you. And what terms did you use to search? I tried that. "Gas company" didn't get me anything off the bat and I don't have time to look past ten pages of results. Not sure what I'm doing wrong :confused:

6. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

7. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I have two tanks and I get them filled at the Barnes Store. But it's not as easy for me to move them around as Crysta(above) mentioned. Her husband must have a better back than I do. A 100LB tank is about 5 feet tall so you will probably need a truck and and help loading/unloading it.
    You can use a grill tank but it will only last a couple of weeks.
    If you plan to use the logs much I recommend getting a company to bring out the tank and connect it for you. I remember the old thread and I think McCracken had the best responses.

8. VolleyGrl

9. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

dang, i have taken our's to D R Wells to have filled and the guys there are great - they fill and load back on the truck for me, just needed my DH to help me get the full one off the truck. Now with the dolly i could probably do it myself but why do it when i have a big strong man at home:jester: What's up with you not being able to do it????

10. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I don't play with dolly's and I don't have a big strong man at home.

11. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

:lol::lol::lol:

12. smellarat

smellarat Well-Known Member