Helicopter Buzzing Cleveland area??

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by redtangsoo, Oct 1, 2008.

1. we live out near the airport and it has been non-stop taking off/landing for the past few days. What is going on?!

2. ditch digger

ditch digger Well-Known Member

Perhaps it is a new class of recruits just getting their seat time. I saw a military chopper Monday doing s turns using Hwy. 70 as a reference line. Thats part of flight training. Makes me feel a little safer, living near four bases, with all the training going on around here all the time.

3. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

Hey, no offense intended, but did you notice that this thread is a zombie from 2008?

I see a lot of military air traffic over our area.

Of course, you have the C-17s (..used to be C-141 snakes) and C-130s out of Pope AFB, plus CH-53Es (Super ****ters), Harriers and MV-22s out of MCAS New River. Duke lifeflight also makes a daily run to JoCo (BK117?) and NCARNG also flies their Apaches and Lakotas over our corner of the world.

NCARNG used to run a drug ident program out of Kinston/ RDU (?) in concert with NCSHP. Maybe that's what we are seeing here?

If yes, it would probably be Lakotas (green, single rotor, kinda fat) or JetRangers/Kiowas (NCSHP livery, single rotor, skinny like a mosquito).

I have a foggy recollection that NCSHP had a UH-1D, but that's a very expensive aircraft to operate (by civilian standards) so I suspect they retired it.

4. lawnboy

lawnboy Well-Known Member

Yes, I've seen green, and I'm not sure about the other descriptions, but the one last night was skinny iirc.

Probably just as I suspected.......looking for pot fields. Just seems intrusive; they fly very low and often as late as 10pm. Shakes the house. They must be bored out there if they're flying these missions this often

5. ditch digger

ditch digger Well-Known Member

Duke now has a helo at Joco airport. They sometime make four or five trips a day. We live in a direct line to the airport and they rattle the windows here quite often.

6. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

The NCSHP/SBI also used to own a Bell 222. Though I doubt seriously that it had the same features as Airwolf.

[​IMG]

7. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Last pm, after dark, wish I had noted the TIME, we had a VERY-VERY low flyover, it was a LARGE plane, on the way to the JoCo Airport, we thought. But we are NOT near by the airport at all. We were so surprised that we went outside to see what was going on...could only see it was a larger plane, too dark to see much else, had the landing lights on...

Anyone else????

8. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

I saw it, around 7:05 pm. I was driving past the Johnston County Volunteer Fire dept on Fairground Rd and it was very low.

9. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

maybe i'm an oddball, but i get very excited when i see a military aircraft of any sort at any height doing almost anything. and yes, it does make me feel proud and safer every time. i don't find it a nuisance at all even if it's frequent. and if it's the highway patrol or life flight or whatever else (helicopters), i say "so?". i'm not doing anything wrong, so i don't care. if it helps catch the bad guys (whether people growing pot or running a still is the definition of a bad guy or not is debateable but that's for another thread) or gets the necessary training in, good for them. truth is there's much more invisible surveillance and intelligence on all of us than we'd ever want to believe in our daily lives...i can only control so much...so i don't fret about it.

and btw, LOVED airwolf. :)

10. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

and to follow up on the conspiracy theory portion of my response above...the xbox or playstation or whatever it is kinect...THAT's what we should be worried about...watching you through your own gaming system. why on earth would you willingly sign up for that?

11. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

hahahaha, Airwolf. Me too.

I remember seeing a blimp out that way YEARS ago, now THAT was cool.