Blinds Emergency

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by VolleyGrl, Nov 29, 2010.

1. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

I just moved into a new construction house and need to have blinds installed. I have about 16 windows. Any recommendations for good/reasonable companies? How much am I looking to pay? I know it won't be cheap, but want to try and find the most reasonable place. Thanks!*

*I did a search and after 4 pages of not finding anything I am posting here because I don't have time to look through volumes.

2. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Just go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get what you need, and install them. They're not difficult to put up at all.

3. VolleyGrl

It's a brand new house that I can't screw up. I need someone that knows what they're doing and that won't be me. I just bought my first toolbox the other day to try and put curtain rods up. It didn't end well. Now that I'm on my own for the first time I'm just learning how to do the things my ex-husband always did. I'm cursing my dad for not teaching me how to do these things. :lol:

4. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

I installed my own blinds in the dining room and roman shade in the bedroom in my new house. The builder put the ones on the front of the house, so that was done before I moved in. But Lowe's probably has installation service for blinds. I used their installation service for my storm doors, and I'm very pleased with the result.

5. Crysta

Crysta Guest

From a price perspective, you're better off either getting the stick-up blinds from Lowes and doing it yourself (they won't last forever, but they're super-cheap and insanely easy to install) or buying the blinds from a big box store and having a handyman install them. We got quotes for blinds with installation and the cost was staggering (and literally the quotes I asked for were for their cheapest blinds, regardless of ugliness). As a woman with no home improvement skills at all, installing blinds is actually pretty easy. City data has a post in the Raleigh forum that actually gives a really great description of how to do it yourself. But if you want them installed, you will save a TON of money by having a handyman do it as opposed to a company that will order and install them.

6. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

My son is pretty good with that type thing. He will be here in a bit I will ask him if he is interested for you. He can then give you an estimate if you'd like. He is reasonable and is living with me to go to school so may well be interested. He and his older brother did a handyman business in Florida.

7. smellarat

smellarat Well-Known Member

I've never had a problem with Lowe's Installations.

8. VolleyGrl

That would be fantastic. I will send you a PM with my contact info.

9. englishbullymom

englishbullymom Well-Known Member

VolleyGrl,
    I highly recommend as someone else did in buying the "blinds in a box" from Lowes and hiring a handyman to install them. I can tell you when we moved into our new construction home back in 2006, I had 23 :)banghead:) windows to outfit with blinds. Luckily I have a handy hubby. But the cost of buying the blinds alone totaled approx $750. That is nothing compared to what it would cost to have someone come out, measure, order and then install them. That would be considered "custom" and costs a small fortune-as if the $750 isn't enough. And of course, none of our 23 windows were "standard" size so we had to have them all cut at Lowes.

I'll be honest-I'd be in the exact clueless position you are without my hubby, so maybe if you have a handyman come over to give an estimate, they could also measure the windows for you and you can write down specifically how many blinds and at what measurements you will need.

10. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

We had 23 windows at our old house. :?
    1. Measure opening
    2. Head to Lowes
    3. Have them cut (for free) if need be
    4. Use your 10% q-pon at the register to save some cash
    5. Have a friend, family member install them for some beer? LOL

See, that was EASY! :mrgreen:

11. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

We just had them done at the office by a local company and they actually quoted less than Lowes did and they look great.

His info is:
    Joe Mills
    Advanced Window Coverings
    129 Morning Mist Dr
    Garner, NC 27529
    919-880-0830 Cell
    919-741-4483 Office
    866-591-7320 FAX
    joe@awcblinds.com

12. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

Love Joe! Highly recommend him!

13. Hotwire

Hotwire Well-Known Member

PM sent.

14. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I thought a "Blinds Emergency" is when you see your MIL naked!

15. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

No, that's a "Wish I was blind emergency". :jester:

16. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Good move! I just finished repairing the damage done by a bad install at a friends house. Installing blinds is really easy, but screwing the install up seems to be just as easy.

17. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

screwing who?

18. smellarat

smellarat Well-Known Member

your monkey

19. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

You're not on good terms with your ex, are you? Sorry, couldn't resist! Congrats on your new home!~

...notatroll...

20. fionna68

fionna68 Active Member

We bought our new home 2 years ago.

Needed blinds for 25 windows inlcuding back door, and side windows next to front door.

I also did not want to mess up anything. Went to Lowes. I beleive we paid around $700. They were running one of their installation specials on blinds, so the installation was a flat rate. The majority of the cost was the blinds we choose.

The installers were a husband and wife team. Very nice and professional. They installed them in less han an hour.

Enjoy your new home!