Let me get this straight....

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by mnredsky, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

It hasn't changed anyone from enlisting in the past why would that change now? Those who have served in the past and now know that they are serving with some who are gay. I don't know of any cases where someone has claimed anything inappropriate happening, do you? What is the big deal?

Sherry

2. Sherry A.

That's what I got from your post as well. You changed it from homosexuals to hetrosexuals in your post.

Sherry

3. Sherry A.

Watching Rachel Maddow:

House passed repeal of DADT, now up to Senate.

Sherry

4. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

The study addresses all of those issues. Those legitimate questions were, in fact, the main impetus for the study. The Pentagon has concluded that, in fact, they can do this.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat..._military_would_do_no_harm.html#ixzz16p8ibtoc

5. I think the poster means men showering with homo men would be just as uncomfortable as it would be for women showering with men.

6. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

IMHO, the military of our country -or any country- must represent a cross-section of that nation's citizens. If it doesn't, there is a real danger that it could become a separate entity, divorced from those it was intended to serve.

7. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Certainly a strong point to be made there. The true test will be how well it is received and not so much what the surveys show. It won't matter what the top brass or the politicians say, but rather how willing the troops are to accepting it.

8. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

The only thing that will change when DADT is repealed is that gays in the military will no longer have to lie about who they are. There have always been gays in the military. I remember when my DH found out one of his best mechanics in the motor pool was being processed out because he was gay, DH was extremely upset - not that the guy was gay, but that he was losing a good soldier for no good reason. I know there were lesbians in my unit. I know of only one case where one of them crossed the line with a straight woman, although there may well have been other cases. Just as there are cases of heterosexual men or women making unwanted advances to the opposite sex. The UCMJ does set standards of behavior, and that will not change. Crossing the line should not be tolerated, regardless of sexual orientation.

9. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

When did you serve??

10. smellarat

smellarat Well-Known Member

8) I know a few

11. I don't know what shocks me more....you watching Maddow or Maddow talking about the lebanese.

12. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

To me I can see the need for a cross section of people in military service. Race, age, gender, religious beliefs, political affiliation, etc. are all important to representing the melting pot of the American people. However, I see no reason--as previously stated--to introduce sexual preference officially as a question on an entry form. Are you straight or gay? What kind of question is that for an employer to ask? Perhaps that is the stumbling block in the issue at hand. Physical intimacy is a private matter and should not be important to the fight, yet at the same time, it should not be flaunted for all to see.

13. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

I'm not starting a Holy War here so whatever you believe is fine. However, I still stand by the idea that most folks only look at it from the quar's perspective. You need to also consider how the heteros feel when you ask them to shower beside a guy staring at their junk.

That is why I asked how many women would feel comfortable showering with men. I already know the answer.....none.

14. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

This deserves to be bumped. Why can't more people think the way you do?

15. Sherry A.

:iagree:

16. Sherry A.

From the time I was born until now. Still a dependent of a retired military officer who has shown what a patriot he is.

Sherry

P.S. Get a life.

17. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

So being a dependent means you served? LOL, hell I guess I'm one too!!

Shower me with props.

18. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

:iagree:

19. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

PS. you're an idiot who speaks as they served. You didn't ok.

I have a great life so I don't have to get a life.

20. Jalen

Jalen Well-Known Member

Bumped again....Why is it so important for gays that everyone know they are gay?