Are Expensive Coffee Makers Worth it?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by DontCareHowYouDoItInNY, Dec 1, 2010.

1. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I've always used the basic Mr. Coffee type makers and thought I was happy with them. But it's almost time to buy a new one and when I checked Target they range from $10 to over $100. Is it a status thing or does coffee taste better out of the expensive one's or is there some other reason?

2. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Coffee doesn't taste any better from an expensive coffee maker, just more bells and whistles.....

3. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I like the ones without the pots, just put your cup under the machine and push the button with the cup. No glass to break and so much easier to clean and handle.

4. Keurig....but more expensive.

5. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

I LOVE my Keurig machine.

6. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

Love the keurig. Our first one quit and we got another within 2 days. You can also get a filter to use regular coffee.

7. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Not as fancy as the Keurig, but I have been using my Hamilton Beach Brew Station for about six years now with no complaints. I like that the coffee stays warm, but does not get burnt.

8. cathy0517

cathy0517 Well-Known Member

Me too, I love my keurig:iagree:

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

We have a Keurig here at work. It's ok. I guess I just haven't run across the right flavor yet. I like my coffee really stout and none of them seem to do it for me. I still carry mine in from home, LOL

10. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

:iagree:

I've had mine for about 3 years now and LOVE IT. I've broken so many glass pots I had to get a coffee maker that did have one! And burnt is NEVER a problem with this one.

11. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

So if it makes one cup at a time, doesn't that mean that there is a waiting period between cups of coffee? What do you do if there are several people?

12. Cleopatra

[​IMG]

13. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

We have one at work a few of us use it. The waiting period between cups is maybe...45 seconds. In ours there is a water reserve, I put in whatever flavor coffee I want, hit the button and it brews one cup of coffee, my coffee is done in...30-45 seconds if that, then the next person hits the button for theirs (provided you don't have to fill up the water reserve, which holds maybe 6 cups worth, but there are different sizes out there)

14. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

LMAO!!!! That about coveres it!!! :p

15. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Ya'll must be rough on your coffee makers. I've NEVER broken the pot.
    I still use the Mr Coffee that we've had for probably 15 years or more. I think I had it before we got together back in '96.

16. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I would love a Keurig - but I feel it's a bit impractical for household use since there's more than one coffee drinker in my house - but if I were single - I'd have one in a heartbeat! I just can't see spending that much on the individual K-cups, and I did look at the filter (that you use for regular coffee) and that alone is $17! Maybe one day when mine breaks and if they come down in price - I'll get one..:mrgreen:

The only 'bells' I have to have is a timer for it to come on (15 min before I get up) and the auto shut-off is good to have also. :lol:

17. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I have one of the one of these (carafe free):
    [​IMG]

....and it's the best thing EVER. You don't get that burnt coffee taste/smell when it's been sitting on the burner.

18. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

That's what I have, the Hamilton Beach Brew Station for at least 6 years also. I Love it!

19. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I love mine too!

20. Cleopatra

I've got this one -

[​IMG]

It works for us esp with hubby and I keeping different hours with his shifts. If he leaves for work at 5am, there is still coffee for me when I get up and if he is working nights there is still coffee for him when he gets up.