Are Expensive Coffee Makers Worth it?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by DontCareHowYouDoItInNY, Dec 1, 2010.

1. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

and it doesn't taste burnt!:mrgreen:

2. grandma4

grandma4 Well-Known Member

Anyone have a Bunn? (watch it) I almost got one but a $20 deal on a Mr. Coffee was hard to pass up vs. $100+ for Bunn.

3. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Does the Kourig also fix cups of hot tea and hot chocolate? Seems like I remember seeing packets for those, as well. We use a double cup Melitta brand maker.

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Yes, they have all different stuff including hot choc and tea

5. sacosta

sacosta Well-Known Member

If you like good coffee I think it’s more important to grind your own beans just before you brew, and if possible use a burr grinder. A burr grinder creates a more consistent grind.

6. cathy0517

cathy0517 Well-Known Member

Tons of flavors and you can make ice tea or iced coffee drinks also!

7. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

We currently have one by Krups,it wasn't worth the money,every time I fill it up with water there's a lake underneath,same thing when you pour the coffee-puddles everywhere.

8. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Where can one buy the packages of coffee and/or hot chocolate that goes with Keurig? If I were to buy one for a college student could they get the stuff at a grocery store?

Sherry

9. Crysta

Crysta Guest

Oh, absolutely! There are a lot of factors to consider, including the temperature of the water used to brew the coffee. Many of the cheap machines don't properly heat the water, and some even depend on the heating coil under the pot to even get the coffee to drinking temperature. Coffee brewed at higher temperatures better bring out the flavor of the coffee, and you can definitely tell the difference.

I'm not a fan of the Keurig machines, due to the cross contamination issues. I like the convenience and flavor profile abilities of the single-serve machines though, and do lean more towards the Flavia machines to avoid cross contamination when switching beverage flavors and types often, plus the ability to make capaccino and lots of great tea flavors.

We have a high end coffee maker, and you can definitely taste the difference. We held onto the Mr. Coffee for a while (mainly because I didn't know how to use the new machine yet), and using the same exact coffee, you could tell the difference. And I'm not any type of coffee expert, just a casual enjoyer (although my husband is admittedly an adict).

There are things you can do that are inexpensive ways to use your current machine and get better tasting coffee. Using better beans, roasting your own beans, and especially grinding the beans yourself are all very effective. Even the way you store the coffee can have a noticable effect on the taste of the final product. And of course you should be sure to clean the machine and carafe regularly and properly.

10. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

I'm going to say no. I like my Mr. Coffee just fine.

11. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

I order my coffee from Coffeeicon.com

They have the best prices on the keurig cups.

12. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

Coffee does taste better from this! :) Fabulous machine and especially with Gloria Jean's coffee. They make the refillable pods now! Perfect!

13. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

They have lots of different flavors for the Kuerig coffee maker at Lowe's home improvement on the 40/42!

14. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

I find that Gloria Jeans is a little too weak for me.

15. Sherry A.

Thanks all. Makes more sense to me on the one cup machines now.

Sherry

16. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

Cuisinart makes one - have it, love it - this pot is not a one cup, pod type though - it makes a full 12 cups of coffee. Love the thing! I brew at least 2 pots a day and had one last me a bit over 3 years and replaced it with another just like it. It has an auto-shutoff too!

Cusinart DCC-2000 Cuisinart Coffee on Demandâ„¢ 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker
    http://www.cuisinart.com/products/coffee_bar/dcc-2000.html
    :hurray:

FWIW
    I love the idea of the Kuerig and the Black and Decker pod brewer before it - BUT have had coffee from both and frankly, I like my coffee STRONG and even doing the small cup option with either it was NOT strong enough.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  17. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

you can find the K-cups almost anywhere! Kohls, Belks, Food Lion, lots of places. I usually get them at Kohls (for my dd) when I get a 30% off coupon and they're on sale. Plus lots of other companies make compatible ones.

College students love them cause there's practically no clean-up!

18. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

LOL I go for the light roast on all of the pods when possible. I am scared of the strong stuff. I even order Decaf at Starbucks.

19. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

My Mom's coffee maker for years has always been the big square type with the nine number panel and the 4 minute popcorn option.... usually makes one cup at a time...in about a minute.

20. Sherry A.

That's what I was thinking with college students!! Glad to know they have them at grocery stores. Might be a great Christmas present.

Sherry