Property reevaluation

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by LansingDr, Dec 3, 2010.

1. LansingDr

LansingDr Well-Known Member

Got mine in the mail yesterday, mine jumped $10,500 from last time it was done.

2. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Our's went up $7K.

3. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Given the state of the economy, I don't see how the financial wizards could think that property values have increased across the board. I think it's stretching it to believe that they stayed on par with the last evaluation.

4. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Last time: $186K

Now: $205K

Got to love it. Yet, you wouldn't be able to sell now if you tried. Go figure.

stephanie--mom to 7

5. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

I would agree if you were comparing values now to 2 or 3 years ago, but I believe the last evaluation was 8 years ago. Glad it was not re-evaluated at market peak!

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Mine stayed about the same, but it was high 8 years ago and I had to appeal it then. If you truly believe that it is too high and can back it up with facts and not just what you think, then you can get it reduced. I did.

7. jumpin4joync

jumpin4joync Well-Known Member

The form offers you the opportunity to appeal the Market Value and we plan on appealing for a couple of reasons.

First, they valued our home with 2 out buildings on the property. We had purchased a larger out building and was in the middle of selling the previous. It was sold and moved shortly after they re-valued our property. They need to subtract the value they added for that building we don't have any more.

Second, a house across the street with same square footage sold within the last 60 days and did not get the "market price" quoted on our revaluation. It was on the market for almost a year and sold for several thousands less than listed on this form. Plus we have much more land than the house across the street.

We're not trying to cause trouble but we don't want to pay more property taxes than we should.

8. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Mine went up 11,000. Oh well, a bigger mortgage now, what else is new? :(

9. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

ours jumped 30,000!!

But we did a lot of improvements since we bought our house!

10. Crysta

Crysta Guest

Ours only went up $4k, but we only bought 2 years ago and there's no way we could sell now for what we paid then. Not even close.

How do you even read these things?! Mine has the number 5 next to fireplaces. Is that saying that I have 5 fireplaces? Friend has same house with 1 fireplace, and hers says the number 2. But then the dollar amounts are way different. Mine is way more than twice hers.

Not sure if it's worth appealing over such a small increase, though. I can't remember our tax rate, but I'm guessing the yearly effect will be less than $50.

11. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

If I had an appraisal done last year for a re-fi and it's significantly lower than the market value they stated, is that reason enough to appeal it?

12. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

That's one of the reasons listed on the form. The appraisal has to be from 2009 or 2010, and you need to attach a copy to your appeal.

13. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

Thanks! I was a little confused about the reasons...

14. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

Ours went up 28K last year because we had an addition. The new evaluation is 28K in addition. I wonder if it is a mistake or if we really have an increase of over 50K.

15. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

Ugh! I don't even want to look at mine. I had my house painted and added stone front accents. It has nice curb appeal now and the tax man probably thinks so too! Maybe I won't check the mail. :cry:

16. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

OK, ya'll do realize it's a GOOD thing your property values aren't falling like the rest of the country................right? 8) And be darned glad these increases didn't happen like someon else said 2 or 3 years ago.

The process to appeal is simple if they have truly made an error. It happens, nothing to get all bent out of shape about.

17. ZUMBAbyMARIE

Ours went up over $43,000.

18. LansingDr

LansingDr Well-Known Member

YIKES!...$43,000?...guess I wont bit$H about mine :)

19. ZUMBAbyMARIE

I thought there was a cap on how much it could go up. Does anyone know?

20. jumpin4joync

jumpin4joync Well-Known Member

You can call the office and talk with someone over the phone and ask them to tell you what all the county used to come up with their figure.

I called and asked and that's when I found out that there are 2 out buildings listed for my property and even the sizes of each building. There was a dollar amount figured for each of the buildings. I know ours will be reduced by the dollar figure of the smaller of the 2 out buildings.

The woman I spoke with was extremely nice and patient with my questions.