At Risk Teens

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by turtlepits, Dec 8, 2010.

1. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

Does anyone know any programs available for at risk teens? I know this little boy who is 13 years old and is headed down the wrong path. He's hanging out with known gang members. Has ran away from home once and threatens to do it again every time he gets mad. His mom "claims" she has done all she can do. So........what would you guys suggest??

2. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

3. turtlepits

Thanks, but that's for substance abuse and u have to be 18. I'm looking something for a 13 year old.

4. RCARP

RCARP Well-Known Member

check with Johnston County Youth Services. They have several different programs that are offered. If all else fails go to the court house and have him declared an undisciplined juvenile and the court will issue mandatory programs.

5. Sherry A.

My mistake, I thought they took in teens and although a place says substance abuse they take people/teens who are having problems, period. Sorry about the age though.

Sherry

6. OmniOne1

OmniOne1 Well-Known Member

KMH

Kennedy Memorial Home. I swear by this place. It's basically a last option before your child goes down that horrible path. The kid is 13, so he still has plenty of chances. KMH will help him be a better person through his teen years and the rest of his life.

It is ran by the Baptist Children's Homes. Through the North Carolina Baptist Men. If you are serious about this child I would strongly suggest looking into this. The mother will be thankful in the end.

http://www.bchfamily.org/

7. ECAVE

ECAVE Well-Known Member

8. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

A good old fashion a$$ whooping.

9. Sherry A.

Good one, Craig.

Sherry

10. cosmicvagabond

cosmicvagabond Well-Known Member

11. turtlepits

YEAH! That's what I said! His mom says he turns around and laughs at her. I don't think the mom is "trying too hard"! Which burns me up cause he is a good kid around me and my husband, but he respects us when he doesn't his mom!!

12. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Perhaps that's because he knows that you expect his respect and accept nothing less. That scenario plays out often.

It's never easy to become an authority figure, if the developmental pattern has been one of lax discipline. (this goes from being a leader in the workplace or as a parent)

In my mind, if the lessons of respect and obedience aren't taught and maintained from early on, the only other prayer of a parent is that as things degenerate, one hopes that nothing bad happens on their watch.

Too many kids have been consigned to the scrap heap by having crappy parents to begin with.

Kudo's for your interest in this young person.

13. Sherry A.

Mom must need some parenting classes. My child would have been somewhere else if she had not given me respect. Respect is both earned and given. Shoot even teenage boys knew when they came on our property what the rules were and that meant "I" was and am always in charge.

Sherry

14. OmniOne1

OmniOne1 Well-Known Member

On rare occasions, I have seen young teenagers act like this. Where they will be respectful to ANYONE as long as that person does not try to assert authority over the teenager and treats them as an equal. ** Which most adults cannot do simply because of their ego's **

Occasionally you can run into a smart child who can converse with you and actually amaze you at their grasp of concepts. If this child is like this. I would guess that there is no male figure in his life. Male figures normally assert the respectful dominance.

I honestly think, that possibly this mother is trying to mold the child too late in his life. But surprisingly if said child has a real grasp of reality you might be surprised at how he molds himself.

I would go on the record and say that if this child has a limited father figure in his life, and is overly down to earth and society. Then he is probable to end up a very successful leader in older years.

Maybe he's a Libra?

15. shellybear

shellybear Active Member

We have gone through our own personal he__ __ too.

The tooley group (dr. joseph tooley)
    they are counselors that helped us a lot.

At first they can help you simply function in every day situations. then they helped us with more.

On the bright side, your lucky it is a boy. there are less public programs for girls once they reach their 16th birthday. I know this is a 13 year old boy, but sometimes problems last a long time.

Tooley group helped us with so much. Even how to say a simple sentence to the child without abrubt turmoil.