where to buy a rock tumbler

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by macy, Dec 7, 2010.

1. macy

macy Well-Known Member

Grandson age 7 wants a rock tumbler for christamas i found one on line to order just wondering if there is a shop local that might sell these could not find anything in my search so just asking if anyone knows of a local business like a rock shop etc that might sell them and thanks so much.

2. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Michaels. Have not seen one a White Oak but they have them, or did, at the one on Capital Blvd.

3. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

4. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

I don't know if they carry that item but you may try contacting
    http://www.home4schoolgear.com

They are a local small business that carries a lot of science related supplies.

5. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

If you cant find one, i have one i can give you. It was used when i got it but it works. Not real pretty...i need to clean it up but i would give it to you. You would need to get a refill pack for it though, with all the various types of grout. Im out of those.

6. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

Michaels or Stone's School Supply on Tryon at the Gorman St exit off of I-40.

7. ncgal

ncgal Well-Known Member

Try Science Safari in Cary! They have a lot of neat things like this!

8. macy

macy Well-Known Member

where to find a rock tumbler

thanks to all for great information on rock tumbler...grandma macy

9. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

FYI- Rock Tumbling is a S-L-O-W process-- like weeks & weeks... our DS was very interested in this process but the LONG time span killed it for him.

10. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

Been there, Done that. I had no clue that you had to put up w/the sound of tubling rocks ... 4-ever. The final product is really cool ... but the process took w-a-y longer than we realized it would. Rock tumblers are great for those who have a shop, separate from the house, so you can shove the tumbler in there a forget about it for a while.

11. Breezy18

Breezy18 Well-Known Member

Garage....is all I can say

It is very loud so we ended up putting ours in the garage. My son had a lot of interest in it , but it is a very long process. We found his at Michaels Crafts at White Oak. Merry Christmas!

12. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I stuck ours in another bedroom in the closet, and yes Michael's has them and they are 50% off right now, so they are about 15.00.

13. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Yes, it's a long and CONTINUOUSLY NOISY process.

14. peekaboo

peekaboo Well-Known Member

I agree...

the noise will drive you crazy!!