Can they do this?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Cleopatra, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

2. That's gotta be racist.

3. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Pay for sports, parking on campus...yes. Which is an idea that JoCo should explore.

Require payment for public transportation? No!

4. ECAVE

ECAVE Well-Known Member

Everyone will have to pay except for those who cant afford it. Can wait for "Rev" Barbour to chime in on this. It ought to be good....

5. Paying for sports is a horrific idea....parking too.

6. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Students driving and parking at Clayton High School have been paying $75.00 per year to park. The money adds up to help the school.

Sherry

P.S. The swim team at Clayton High pays for most everything. Parents and team members pitch in for all kinds of items.

7. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

I guess they can to a point. There should be no charge for the regular bus and all of this should be on a sliding fee scale because not all can afford these "extra's".

personally they should stop the economic diversity BS and send the kids to local schools. They should save a lot on gas and paying bus drivers to drive all over.

8. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

If you can't afford the extras don't get the extras.

9. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

I didn't realize I could ride the bus.

10. CAROLINA SUN

CAROLINA SUN Well-Known Member

I totally agree, they are wasting to much time going and coming home from school... That time should be used in the classrooms, we are falling behind..

11. Cleopatra

According to the article, fees will be based on a formula like the free & reduced lunch program - meaning I guess that parents will have to submit their income to the Wake County School board? I think that is overstepping and invasive.

I agree with paying for the privelege of driving yourself to school, when there is transportation available. I disagree with paying for that ride to school on the big yellow bus or to participate in sports. The equip is expensive is enough already, charging a fee to even participate could shut out applicants - kids who are really poor and really talented (and could likely get athletic scholarships) or kids who are poor just need that outlet to stay out of trouble.

12. Sherry A.

Paying for sports puts most parents out. I know that football players get fed and so do some basketball teams but not track or swimming.....it is up to the parents. Those who participate in swimming and track do take the underprivileged into consideration and chip in for those who want to participate. I just feel as though, especially in the South, the kids wanting to do sports outside of football and basketball pay a larger price.

P. is a good ole' Southern boy maybe he can 'splain why this happens.

Sherry

13. Sherry A.

Gottcha. That's what we do but I was not sure if the football and basketball players had the parents doing it or not. I just know they get some items provided that the swim and track team do not.

Thanks,
    Sherry

14. Sherry A.

Had to stop myself from posting something about male swimmers. I'll let it go, Mr. Squirrel, or get myself in trouble.

Sherry

15. LOL....what?

16. Cleopatra

Yeah, the booster club raises alot of money and parents plan, coordinate, and supply their dinners. Even with pads, helmets, and jerseys covered a good pair of cleats can cost a parent 100.00, a good chin strap 25.00, even an orthodontic mouthguard is 6.00.

17. Sherry A.

You been living in the South long, big guy? Football and basketball rule. Swimming, tennis, track all come in a distance from the other two and it shows if you have a kid interested in something different than football or cheer leading. My family has lived in the South forever and it has not changed at all.

Sherry

18. As usual....nonsense. All of those sports listed take a backseat to the two revenue sports (football & basketball) no matter where you are located.

If anything the non revenue generating outdoor sports (track, golf, tennis, baseball, tennis, softball) are more prevalent in the South because of the climate.

19. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I have no problem with pay to play in all extracurricular activities, if income is considered and scholarships are available. Yes, there are many band fundraisers available to help students earn a little bit towards their fairshare, but I have no problem with mine earning part of it by fundraising. It is good for him to earn part of his expenses this way as it teaches him responsibility. If you don't want to participate, then don't, but do not knock these organizations raising money for their activity. If you are not a fan of band programs, then fine, but it is life changing for the kids involved.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2010
  20. Sherry A.

Golf happens to be a new sport to high schools as is tennis. When I was in high school all we had was football and basketball and it had been like that forever. Now the school has a variety.

Soccer is prevalent in many areas of our country but still not in the South. Sports other than football and basketball might be money makers if given a chance but I'd rather a student get a scholarship and stay out of trouble than a sport make money.

Sherry