Lockdown at McGee's Middle

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by sarahmama, Dec 8, 2010.

1. sarahmama

sarahmama Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone knows why there was a lockdown at McGee's Middle today? Just saw it on a students Facebook page, and asked my daughter about it. She said they sat there for 30 minutes and then someone finally knocked on the door. Let me know if you know anything.

2. rincmom

rincmom Well-Known Member

My daughter told me that the police were there with drug sniffing dogs. They were looking for drugs and she thinks they found some. That's all she knew. I know they do this at the high school but for me it's the first time for the middle school. A little scary for the kids, some thought there was a bad person in the building, they didn't know what was going on until after it was over.

3. sarahmama

I understand. I didn't know about it until I read another childs Facebook page. When I asked my daughter, she said they were on lockdown for 30 minutes. To me, if it was drug sniffing dogs, they could have just had the kids stay in their rooms, not call it a lockdown. Having worked in the school system, when someone tells me there was a lockdown at the school for 30 minutes, I get worried. I automatically assume it's not a good thing.

4. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Well-Known Member

Don't assume that they were locking down the kids looking for drugs. These days it seems like the faculty gets in more trouble with the law than the students do.

5. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I don't think that is her point. Usually, a lockdown means the kids are locked in rooms for their own safety because of an intruder.

6. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

But that's what a lockdown is, what else would they call it? lol

Ya'll think Middle School is bad. Wait until High School, kids will smoke weed right on the bus.

7. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

We never experienced that but they did sell and distribute on the bus. My kid went through several "lockdowns" while in school and I might have been a little nervous about it the first time but as the years rolled by I find it is in the interest of the kids and I didn't pay much attention. Most were due to drugs and alcohol.

Sherry

8. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Could it have been a drill?

9. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

You've smoked to much already and taken way to many short buses. :lol:

Sherry

10. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

was not a lockdown. drug sniffing dogs (which come twice a year) were walked through the school. They did find drugs on the premises.

There was no dramatic "lockdown" and it was pretty obvious what was going on when the dogs along with their handlers entered certain classrooms.

11. Cleopatra

<sigh> Did you go and call the school and get the facts, again?

Dramasucker. lol

12. steve

steve Well-Known Member

the bongs were full of oregano.... a drill:lol:

13. sarahmama

I wasn't saying anything negative, just that when I heard lockdown, my heart skipped a little with fear. When someone tells me there was a lockdown at my childs school, I tend to think there was an intruder. I understand the reasoning for having drug sniffing dogs, but it just freaked me out a little. Not a big deal.

14. KellBell

I am a dramasucker and proud of it. :p

15. KellBell

I agree it's very scary at the thought that there may be an intruder in the school. It's even scarier that a form of intrusion is there every single day.....drugs. Comes right in the front door, invited.

16. Cleopatra

Yep.

17. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

My son's Elementary school in Wake County just had a drill Wednesday. We got an automated message call and a note sent home explaining the differernt forms of lockdown. It spooked me even though it was just a drill.

18. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

DS2 said there was a drill at West Clayton this week.

I can't vouch for his accuracy though, not if I compare it by how he "remembers" what he's supposed to do for homework! :evil:
    God bless teachers who update their web pages!

19. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

:iagree: To me "lockdown" means there is an intruder or unfortunately, another student has a gun and is being violent. I was always under the impression that if they were looking for drugs and all, that that was called a "shake down". That's what it was called when I was n school anyway.

20. sarahmama

Unfortunately, I know all too well. I was a JoCo School bus driver the last 2 years and dealt with that directly.