Propane for Gas Logs

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Steeler_Fan, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Steeler_Fan

Steeler_Fan Well-Known Member

Looking to get Propane for our Gas Logs. Anyone have any suggestions as to what company I should use? We don't plan to use as primary source of heat, just when we have company over, or party.

2. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

We bought a 100lb tank and take it ourselves to be filled. This has saved us a good amount of $.

3. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

With your needs, this is the way to go. Most LP companies charge a fee for their tank, plus you pay more per gallon, typically around $.15 or so.

4. Steeler_Fan

Steeler_Fan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. Where can I buy a tank? Builder told me I would need 100 LB tank as well. Since the logs have never been connected before, I will take a look about how to setup, if anyone has any tips, please let me know. The pad for the tank was put in when the house was built, so that part will be easy, and I see the connection outside for the fireplace.

5. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Lowes has them, but you could check Craigslist for a better deal. Seems like there's usually one or two there.

6. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

When we had gas logs we bought our tank at Lowes and filled it in McGees Crossroads.

7. Hotwire

Hotwire Well-Known Member

PM sent.

8. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

We bought our tanks at Lowes. We bought two so we always have a backup tank since we also have a gas stove. I think my husband said it usually cost $45-$50 to fill a tank. One tank lasted us Feb.-Dec. when using it primarily for our stove, and I cook just about every day. The tanks, of course, needs to be replaced more often when using the fireplace and propane heater we have in the garage.

9. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

we bought our's at Lowe's too and fill it up down at DR Wells, those guys are so great. When it is just me filling it they take it off the truck for me, fill it up and then reload it back on to truck and their price is usually better than the other local convenience stores. Gotta love getting excellent service:hurray:

10. snapper

snapper Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about getting a tank as well. We use TR Lee now but I don't like paying that $50 tank rental every year. It's just money wasted.

Do the 100lb tanks exspire like the small LP tanks for the gas grills?

11. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

In our old house, we bought the tank at Lowes and had a friend that "knew what he was doing" hook it up. Also had to buy fittings, piping, etc for the job. Had the tank filled at what used to be Clayton Oil a long time ago. I didn't consider it a do it yourself but I am afraid of gas in general. Of course you need a pick up to do all the hauling. We then had Stephenson inspect it for leaks. I had to call around alot to find an HVAC company that would do that for us when they came to do the usual heat/air system check.

New house- all completed by builder with natural gas piped right in.

12. ahlsmiles

ahlsmiles Well-Known Member

post came right on time...we are thinking about doing the same thing but didn't know how to go about doing it.

13. Crysta

Crysta Guest

We also got ours at Lowes. As far as the logs go, find out who installed them (the builder will have this information). They should come out for free and get them going once you have the gas hooked up. We were told that the initial set-up was required to be done by the installer, or else it voids the warranty. And it was nice to have them come out and get everything going for free, and show us how to use everything. It was a good thing we did it that way, too, because a few months later we had a problem with the logs and because we hadn't voided the warranty, the installers came out and replaced the logs for free.

ETA: We also added a small (quickcrete) concrete pad for the tank to sit on, and bought an extra fitting to hook it up to our gas grill, which is a nice back-up to have in the summer.

14. cmdknw06

cmdknw06 Well-Known Member

Does DR Well's have specific times that they fill the tanks? Anyone filled there this year that knows how much it is? I know last year I was paying around $60-70 at 40-42

15. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Can be filled anytime they are open and the sign says $60. to fill a 100lb tank!

16. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Shell station at 4042 advertises fillup of a 100 tank for 54 bucks.

17. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

I have been thinking of doing the same thing. Not only does TR Lee charge the $50 for the tank yearly but they are also very rude. I am sure they are still doing a good business but they certainly don't have a monopoly on getting gas for your logs in this area!!
    Thank y'all for providing all the good information. I am ready to go get a tank and get on with this program.
    Only one more question on this subject for me---does anyone know of someone who would service the logs prior to lighting them? I didn't use them last year and possibly the year before that.

18. whitney

whitney Well-Known Member

We haven't had a problem with TR Lee employees being rude but they are expensive I think. We had our tank filled right after Thanksgiving and the price was $2.49 a gallon. On second thought maybe it was rude when they presented me with a $202. bill to pay!!
    Probably even more now....

19. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i am more than willing to pay the extra $6 for the service those guys give us at DR Wells. At the Shell station they act like it is an imposition to have to go out to fill it up.