Baking tip needed

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Luvgoose1, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

Every year I make the traditional sugar cookies from scratch. Every year I roll out the dough (that has been refrigerated for a day) with a wooden rolling pin on a wooden cutting board. Every year I fight with the dough sticking to both and have to keep putting more and more flour on both the pin and board. I've heard using a silicone pin and some sort of a mat to roll the dough on would prevent this problem. Please share your tips if you can.

2. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

add a little more flour to your dough and mix together before rolling!! other than reflouring the roller and surface I got nothing...

Spraying Pam on the roller maybe???

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Keep the rolling pin and the board cold too and work quickly. That's why marble rolling pins are so popular. Pam might make them too greasy, but that is just my opinon. Powedered sugar might work to dust with instead of flour too.

4. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

Put the dough on wax paper, roll a little bit, then top with another sheet of wax paper and roll it the rest of the way.

5. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

If you don't have any wax paper use Saran wrap (one piece on top,one on bottom) it works great. If you do have wax/parchment paper you can also use it to put on the cookie sheet before placing the cookies on top!

6. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

All of those tips are good, esp the cold board and pin. I would work with small amounts of dough at a time, reach in the fridge and grab a handful.

7. CAROLINA SUN

CAROLINA SUN Well-Known Member

I would line the bottom with wax paper or clear wrap and put some over the dough and roll it out. Then just peel it off and cut out your cookies!!!

8. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

I appreciate all the tips...my girls are grown now and they look forward to the annual sugar cookie event but I dread it because of the hassles with the dough. Has anyone tried the new silicone mats? I called a local place today that sells them and they said nothing sticks to it and it would make the job alot easier...but then again, they want to sell a product. I've seen tons of the silicone bakewear (molds, muffin and cake pans) but have never used them.

9. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Go to Agri Supply in Garner. They have a ton of the silicone bakeware for great prices. Most of it is $3-$4 each.

10. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

We do the Swedish cookies and the recipe has been passed down for years. They have to go through the cookie cutter to make the wiggle design and cut them. I don't think we've ever had a problem with our roller sticking but I need to think about it. Yum, yum!!

Looking forward to those, sausage balls and our wonderful cheese ball.

Sherry

11. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Swedish cookie recipe... handed down??? Hmmmm????

12. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

:allears:

13. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member