Johnston County Schools - Closed

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by gcoats3, Dec 16, 2010.

1. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Thursday, December 16, 2010
    Johnston County Schools
    Closed, Opt. Workday

2. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Ummmmmm.......why?

3. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I'm OK with it, this keeps my teenager from having to get in her car and drive on those back roads.

4. irishluck

irishluck Well-Known Member

Whatdya mean "why"? its pretty crappy out there

5. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

:iagree: Not worth the risk. My husband tried to get to work around 7 this morning and saw folks trying (unsuccessfully) to get up the little hill past the bridge just past Riverwood. I also heard that there were problems on Covered Bridge as well. Besides, i think the make up day on the calendar is January 20, which is the day after the end of the semester. They had three days off that week anyway. I think making one up then would not be a big deal.

6. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

have you been outside? the schools got this one right. I came to garner at 6 am, and it was 15 mph the whole way up 50 (if not following i would have went a bit faster) . once on Garner road saw 2 cars spin right near me.

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Yes, it was VERY nasty out here near AL this morning. There is an SUV in the ditch on it's side between my next door neighbor's house and the next one. They needed to keep them home today. DH brought me to work in the truck. That hill past the Neuse River Bridge is a ^&*(.

8. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I'll be surprised if there is school tomorrow.

9. CraigSPL

Actually yes. left the house about 7:40 or so and managed to get to work by 8 granted took me a total of 20 minutes instead of the 12-15 it normally takes. Didn't see any accidents, issues and incidentally while the roads were a little slushy they were very passible.

As for the roads I travel, they consist of a non-state maintained subdivision, Amelia Church Rd., Shotwell Rd. cross 70 at Bojangles, and then turn left onto Old Garner Rd.

10. CraigSPL

There isn't

11. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

I'll never understand why people complain about school closings for inclement weather. Isn't it better to err on the side of safety? The meteorologists predicted messy roads, so even if they didn't end up being too messy (which they did), the school system is right to delay and cancel. I realize it is tough on parents to have to arrange sitters, daycare, transportation, etc., but I would rather go through that hassle than have my children on the road in bad weather. JCS has not delayed/closed during bad weather before, and it has proved fatal. It's really not that big of a deal to have to make up some days. Kids get plenty of days off throughout the year. Sorry for the rant, but this drives me crazy! Oh, and just because one neighborhood road isn't iced over doesn't mean the back roads that stay in the shade aren't. Rant over!

12. irishluck

there isn't? I havent seen it reported.. are you sure? (Don't mean to doubt you, I just dont know who are the kidders on here haha)

13. irishluck

Someone did get killed in Fayetteville today because of an accident. so sad :(

14. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

What?

15. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

1000 times this. I live on a hill with trees shading the road. It will stay icy in front of my house for days after it melts everywhere else. I CAN get out if I have to, but that isn't the point. My rule of thumb is if I need a 4 wheel drive to get somewhere, I don't need to go, even though I have one. It's the other non-snow driving idiots that scare the crap out of me. We grew up with this mess on a regular basis. DH brought me today, but not until that mess started clearing off. I got here at noon and the world did not come to a screeching halt.

16. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I got an email notification from WRAL about three hours ago (1:00) for JCS closed. It didn't say specifically that it was for Friday, but I had already received the one for today and this one expires at 1:00 tomorrow, so I am assuming it is for tomorrow. I haven't seen anything on JCS district page or the local school page or WRAL for that matter, but I assume that you already know this to be the case. In any case, better safe than not.

This is the body of the email alert I received. The one for today was the same, but it expired at 1:00 today.

Closing update for Johnston County Schools

Expires: Friday at 1:00pm

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2010
  17. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Yeah, sounds like it's closed....

Perfect day to go to Crabtree and see Santa, come home and watch Christmas movies, and eat Christmas cookies.

18. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Sounds perfect! Enjoy!:)

19. CraigSPL

They made the annoucement on WRAL 101.5 earlier today. One of the girls at work has it streaming at her desk for the Christmas music.

20. irishluck

just got a call saying its a 2 hour delay