Looks like we're losing the Mudcats

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Crysta, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Crysta

Crysta Guest

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/mudcats/story/8784532/

The Pensacola News Journal is reporting that the Carolina Mudcats, the double-A franchise of the Cincinnati Reds, will be sold to Florida businessman Quint Studer and moved to Pensacola, Fl.

Mudcats owner Steve Bryant is under a gag order from the Southern League, but did tell WRAL Wednesday night, "I will own a team that will play at Five County Stadium as long as I can afford to do it."

The report in the Pensacola News says that current Mudcats ownership is in negotiations to bring a single-A team to Zebulon, but Bryant would not confirm that.

The move for the double-A franchise to Florida would not take place until the 2012 season.

2. sacosta

sacosta Well-Known Member

Well that stinks!

3. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Kinston Indians moving to Zebulon...fyi.

4. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that the Indians were successful in Kinston. Not sure how area fans will embrace them, but at least its a eastern NC franchise. Kinston actually has been with a minor league team since the early 1900s. I was actually more surprised to hear of the Indians move to Zebulon than the Mudcats leaving.

5. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

What I am wondering is if the indians will change their names to mudcats

6. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Doubtful

7. SubMom727

SubMom727 Well-Known Member

8. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I'd think that Bryant would likely retain the Indians name, but he's also moving the team into a metropolitan area (and also near the Haliwa-Saponi Tribal area) where political correctness may intervene.

www.wralsportsfan.com/mudcats/story/8784532/

Looks as if they'll be keeping the Mudcats name afterall.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  9. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Oh no, they can't take away Muddy and Muddy Jr. They are the best part of the ballgame. I go there to see them, not the game:)

10. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Need minor league tutorial here....So is the team we're getting moving up or down in terms of the Majors?

and where do they stand w/ the Durham Bulls?

I just do not have this straight.

Can someone give me the breakdown?

(I love Baseball, well, mostly going out for a beer & a bag of peanuts part!!)

11. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Down. Durham Bulls are Triple A which is one step away from the majors. The old Mudcats were Double A (two steps away from the majors) and the Kinston Indians are Single A (three steps away from majors).

However, the majors (aka The Show) can call up anyone from any level. In fact, most come up from Double A than Triple A. Triple A is usually where guys go that refuse to give up the game or are rehabbing an injury.

12. steve

steve Well-Known Member

The Zebulon Native Americans :lol: