Rant of all Rants

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ncroxx, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

This is kinda dumb, but can you sue your neighbor for the faulty line?

Seems like the problem originated on PE's side so it would be there responsibility. Strange law.

2. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

please tell me that if this horror ever happened to me, i would be covered. If not, let me know what i need to do!!!!

3. momtofive

momtofive Well-Known Member

First, I'm really sorry this happened to you. I'm glad you were home to prevent more damage and I'm glad you and your family are okay.

Next, the PE adjuster is liable to tell you anything, hoping you'll buy it and leave them alone. I'd look for an attorney - possibly find a young attorney who will do the research and represent you for cheap as winning a case like this would do wonders for their career. Or find a well establised lawyer who does free consultations and get their advice.

Then, I'm shocked your homeowners insurance doesn't cover this. What the heck are you covered for then? My inlaws once had lightning strike the transformer that supplied energy to their house and it blew their t.v. and a few appliances and their homeowners covered the purchase of new ones, minus their deductible. So I don't understand why yours doesn't cover your loss. Maybe something else to get an attorney to look into.

I hope you get this worked out quickly and without much expense to you.

4. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  5. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

From the link above:
    HomeWIRE does not cover code violations, upgrades, neglect or abuse, lightning, low-voltage wiring, appliances or obsolete parts. Sound like it only covers wiring problems inside the house and not the result of a surge. It's also only good for $500/yr.

I also read about their surge protection (due to lightning), but it doesn't mention a surge caused by their wiring, such as this case. They certainly have themselves covered well.

http://www.progress-energy.com/images/custservice/carres/products/SURGE_T&Cpdf.pdf

I cannot understand why the homeowners doesn't cover this. We all pay a replacement cost for the items in the home as part of the premium for covered losses. This was certainly out of the homeowner's control and should be a covered loss. I hope Progress Energy and Nationwide will step up and do the right thing here.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2010
  6. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

If it truly was the homeowner across the street's failed wire, and this can be proven/documented, the obvious source of relief is that homeowner. In de facto, you probably would be sueing their homeowner's insurance company, but I'm pretty sure you would have to sue them, maybe not something you WANT to do, but may be neccessary. If it's not their line, then maybe the developer/contractor who installed the line. I agree, you shouldn't have to bear the cost of something like this.

7. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Just saw this ad in the 4042 classifieds. Might help you replace some of your appliances for now.

garner, nc 27529
    wake
    Telephone:E-Mail:Reply to Ad Web Site:

Description
    used kenmore washer,GEstove,frigadare dryer GE refrigerator 3 whith 1 almond works great 250.all

8. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Sue the surge protector company for the product not doing what it was supposed to do.

9. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

I know it won't help you, but I'd also suggest that you contact your state reps in Raleigh to see if one of them would be willing to start the ball rolling on trying to change the law that gets PE off the hook. It'll probably never pass with PE's deep pockets for lobbyists and lawyers, but it might be worth a shot.

10. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing, I'm sure the squirrel will let us know!!

11. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

If the wire runs under the driveway ... chances are it is not actually on the neighbor's property but in a state easement.