Breakfast Casserole?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kdc1970, Dec 21, 2010.

1. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'm wanting to save my inlaws from extra cooking this year. Anyone have a favorite breakfast casserole recipe they wouldn't mind sharing that I can prepare ahead of time and tote in the cooler up there? Nothing too spicy, my FIL doesn't care for especially spicy food. :allears:

Thank you!!!

2. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

Country Side Apple Bake

This one came from a bed n breakfast place in the country side of napa valley when i went on vacation back in 2003. It may not sound like the ingredients
    go together, but when you taste it ... it's WOW.

1 box of frozen french toast
    1 package of Canadian sliced bacon
    1 20 oz can of apples (pie filling)
    2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
    2 cups of Granola

Topping:
    1 cup of sour cream
    1 cup light brown sugar

Spray 13x9 baking dish with non-stick. Layer ingredients in the pan in the order typed above. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until granola is lightly browned on top.

While dish is baking mix the topping ingredients until there are no lumps and reserve in the frig.

Cut into desired proportions and place a dollop of topping or however much you want. I like a lot of it. :mrgreen:

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

THanks Red!! That actually sounds pretty good to me! :cheers:

4. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Strawberry French Toast

This is my favorite. It is super easy and so good. We usually do not do the strawberry topping, but use more maple syrup instead. Prepare the night before and either bake and take, or bake there.

1 (16 oz.) loaf challah bread, cubed
    1 8oz. package cream cheese
    6 large eggs
    4 cups half and half
    1/2 cup butter
    1/2 tsp. nutmeg
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    cinnamon
    2 cups strawberries (or favorite topping)
    1 jar strawberry preserves (or favorite topping)

Arrange half of the cubed bread in a lightly greased 9 x 13 inch pan.
    Sprinkle with cheese pieces and top with remaining bread.
    Whisk together eggs, half and half, melted butter, nutmeg, and maple syrup, pressing bread cubes to absorb egg mixture. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
    Cover and chill for 8 hours.
    Bake, covered, at 325 degrees for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 20 minutes.
    While casserole is baking, heat sliced strawberries and preserves in a saucepan over low heat. Serve.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2010
  5. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

6. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

the French suck

7. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

We make this every holiday because it can be mixed the day before and then we cut up and put fresh fruit on the side of the plate.

Ingredients:

* 6 slices bread, cubed
    * 1 pound sausage, browned, drained
    * 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
    * 8 each eggs, beaten
    * 2 cups milk
    * 1 teaspoon, salt
    * pepper to taste

Preparation:
    Cube bread and place evenly in greased 9x13 pan or baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with sausage and cheese. Mix eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour over ingredients in pan. May cover and chill overnight. (if left overnight, remove from refrigerator 15 minutes before baking). Bake 45 minutes at 325 degrees or until set. Cut into squares to serve.

Have fun and be safe,
    Sherry

8. Quincy8Boy

Quincy8Boy Well-Known Member

9. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

All of those sound good - I made one for the elem school the other day in the crockpot. It was a big hit, I never made it before.

Layer frozen hashbrowns, a dozen eggs (scrambled), and browned breakfast sausage. Low for 6 hours, then top with shredded cheddar,

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Thanks for all the ideas everyone!! Filed for future reference.

Cleo, that might be the winner, that way, I won't take up the oven! : ) Thanks!!

11. Sherry A.

Boy, that sounds good!!

Sherry

12. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

BTW, the eggs are raw - not yet scrambled... I can't think of what to call them uncooked. Brain fart. lol And you can probably pop those other dishes in the crockpot, too.

13. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

I second Sherry A.'s recipe...

...except I only use 6 eggs and 1 cup each of milk and cheese. Also, I usually cook 1/2 lb. hot and 1/2 lb. mild sausage and I mix all ingredients together instead of layering the bread in the bottom. But, I may try it her way this time!

I make this every year for Christmas breakfast and serve with cinnamon rolls; some of my kids don't eat the casserole and besides, the sweet and savory go well together! Oh, and just for a change, instead of making plain old cinnamon rolls, sometimes I cut the rolls into quarters and place in a loaf pan. When they are done cooking, drizzle the icing all over. It comes out kind of like monkey bread!

14. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

Just found this one in my e-mails from Betty Crocker...

DO-AHEAD BREAKFAST BAKE

1 cup diced fully cooked ham (6 oz)
    2 boxes Betty Crocker® Seasoned Skillets® hash brown potatoes
    1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
    1 tablespoon dried chopped onion
    2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (8 oz)
    1 cup Original Bisquick® mix
    3 cups milk
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    4 eggs

1.Grease 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with shortening or cooking spray.
    2.Layer ham, potatoes, bell pepper, onion and 1 cup of the cheese in baking dish. In large bowl, stir Bisquick mix, milk, pepper and eggs until blended. Pour into baking dish; sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese. Cover; refrigerate at least 4 hours but no longer than 24 hours.
    3.Heat oven to 375ºF. Bake uncovered 30 to 35 minutes or until light golden brown around edges and cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes.

15. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I've never had or made a "breakfast casserole". Can't get past the soggy egg bread idea that's stuck in my head. Is that what it's like? I just imagine mushy bread. ... How about a nice frittata? I've never had one of those either but the recipes look simple enough. Just an open omelet you finish in the oven. .... I'm thinking of turning the family into guinea pigs on Christmas Eve morning. A frittata brunch... and mimosas! ooooooo... I'm having all kinds of ideas sitting here now.

16. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

In that case, I'm coming to YOUR house!!! :jester:

I've had some that were really good. The Scouts practiced with some in Dutch ovens over the weekend and said they were good. I ran across a recipe yesterday on the Kraft website that uses Crescent rolls and you don't have to make it ahead of time, it looked pretty quiche-like. I am gonna go eenny meeny miney moe to pick one! :lol:

17. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

The way I mix mine all together and it sits in the fridge overnight, the bread just kind of breaks up and joins all the other ingredients. Besides, when you cook it, I guess it kind of just "bakes" the bread all over again.

18. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

We always do Christmas breakfast at my house, and every year I swear I am going to make a casserolle and I never do.

You are my new hero. While I'm up at midnight wrapping gifts, I will pop this in the crockpot!

19. Sherry A.

No, as one other Poster stated the bread mixes in with the other ingredients and it really turns out great. I used to send it in with my daughter to school for different holidays and even the kids ate every bite.

Sherry

20. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

We've been doing breakfast at out house since the kids were little (they're now adults - my baby just turned 20!) anyway its always the same - they won't let me change a thing! I suggested a casserole one year - nope! :lol:

Scrambled eggs
    ham biscuits
    grits & red-eye gravy
    bacon & sausage
    monkey bread