Bristol Speedway

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by CakePrincess, Jan 9, 2011.

1. CakePrincess

CakePrincess Well-Known Member

Never been there, but we're going this March. Anybody can tell me where is the best place to stay overnight before racing? Any good tips on getting there and where's the best seat? Thanks for your help!

2. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

All seats are good...it's like the Roman Coliseum in there. Can you camp? If so that is the best option since there is nothing close.

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

We lived in Bristol prior to moving here. :cheers: Yes, all the seats are good, not a bad one in the house! Take good ear plugs!! I can't emphasize this enough. :lol:

If you don't already have reservations, doubtful you will find a hotel within an hour or so in any direction. You can try some in Wytheville, VA, it's about an hour and a half away up I-81. I understand that Bristol is not selling out like it used to, due to the economy, so you still have a shot.

Oh, and it will still be freaking cold up there, I mean COLD and take rain gear too, you will usually need it for the Spring race.

Bristol LOVES it's race weekend, you will have a great time. :jester:

4. wolfcub

wolfcub Well-Known Member

went several years ago. Actually got luck to sit in the RCR AT&T suite next to Richard Childress. All seats are good. i agree though if you have no reservations already good luck. I actuall drove up the day of the race and then back home after the race. Long day but doable

5. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

When my husband and youngest son went a few years ago, we rented a cabin in Valle Crucis (near Boone) and they drove back there after the race. I think it was only an hour or so? They had a great time at the race, but it was a LONG trek back to where they had to park. Have fun!!

6. CakePrincess

Oh sure, we can camp. We have tent, so is the campground at the middle of the racetrack like Daytona Speedway?

7. CakePrincess

How cold??? What's the average temp there? I forgot - is race start at day or night? lol

8. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

No, Bristol is only .5 miles around (Daytona is 2.5) so there is no campground inside the track. There are tons of land around the track for camping.

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

It's in the mountains in March!! It's COLD!!! The race is during the day unless you have rain delays. Highs will probably be in the 40's or low 50's if you are lucky!! And the wind will be blowing. :lol:

Like Wolf said, there isn't camping actually AT the track, the locals turn their farmland, etc near the track into camping during the race weekends. And some of them aren't level. 8) If it's like Charlotte, just Google the track and see if there are links to the various campgrounds. Sometimes folks will be offering to rent rooms out of their houses too. You might check Craigslist or something similar.

I'm not a rabid Nascar fan, but Bristol is an experience. If we didn't go to the race, we generally left town those weekends just to avoid the traffic and not being able to get anywhere in a timely manner. :jester:

10. jumpin4joync

jumpin4joync Well-Known Member

If you don't already have overnight reservations you need to jump on the internet and start looking. Those races are booked 6 months in advanced at least. Maybe with the recession you might find something.

The men in the family booked a cabin 50 miles out because that's all we could find 6 months before the fall race.

Have lots of patience with the traffic.

11. jumpin4joync

jumpin4joync Well-Known Member

Bristol has a page on FB and its very active. I love their posts in the weeks leading up yo race weekends. They high light lots of local businesses and activities all year long.

12. CakePrincess

Thank you everybody for your help! I'm checking for lodging right now. Whoo-hoo - can't wait!

13. Best Info on NASCAR tracks:

For the best info on NASCAR tracks including seating, camping, parking, etc. to www.LaidBackRacing.com. This is NOT a professional site by some company but a site run by real race fans. Great tips, etc. Check out the RACE RECON section for any track and you will get tips from the people who actually drive, camp, etc.

RACE RECON: http://www.laidbackracing.com/racerecon.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2011