Joco schools dismissing at 10...?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by DMJmom, Jan 10, 2011.

1. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

This is on west views website, but i havent gotten a call yet. Isnt that odd?

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Same here. WRAL is reporting they close at 10.

3. arogronjomom

arogronjomom Well-Known Member

I haven't gotten the call, either; but the elementary my boys go to (Corinth) states the same on their website.

4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

When they talk about joco schools do they also include the community college? Or is JCC on its own?

5. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

JCC is on its own.

6. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Can someone PLEASE explain to me WHY the elementary kids will go to school for 1 hour today? I'm not sending mine...

7. Jenna's Mom

Jenna's Mom Well-Known Member

Gee, love how they wait until after I call the school to let them know that my daughter won't be riding the bus this morning (she's special needs and the farthest rider from the school so they can conserve a little gas and not show up at my door). Now to figure out if I make the drive to UNC for her appointment this afternoon or do I just reschedule?

@DMJmom - Probably because schools that have early morning programs already had kids there and the possability of buses already on the road. I remember when I was little, Harnett County canceled school and we were already on the bus and got turned around in the parking lot/drop off lane to go home.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  8. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I wasn't going to send mine in for an hour either but he needs the math practice. At least (hopefully) he will get a couple days of assignments.

Phone's ringing! Just got "the call"!

9. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

I am sure they prefer that you don't send your child today. They just made the call to close too late so now they have to get all of the kids to school since some are already in transit or in early care, account for them, and then load them up again to send them home. The weather forecasters weren't very helpful this time in giving them a good forecast I think.

10. nsanemom22

I think my niece gets on the bus at 6 to get to SSS in Smithfield.

11. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Don't elementary, middle and high schools share buses? If so, they can't all dismiss at 10.

I think state law allows it to be counted as a school day as long as they get all the kids in the building. So by doing it this way there should not be a make up day for today ... but I'm not 100% on that.

12. nsanemom22

High school dismisses at 10, then middle, then elementary.

13. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing when I saw that, just got my call like 5 min ago..my daughter is not going for a hour. One less child they have to worry about. The buses will be picking up the high school, then middle then elem. So really they wouldn't be closing at 10, should have made it like 12 or so, I would have sent her for that. Should have made it like 10am for high, 11 for middle, 12 for elem at least. I sure wouldn't want to be in car pool this morning for sure.

14. ginger1989

ginger1989 Well-Known Member

Since the elementary kids have to wait for the buses to take high and middle school kids home, I figure mine won't get home until noonish. The call (which I got as I walked in the door from putting him on the bus LOL) said I could go get him at 10:00, but I'll let him stay.

15. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

that's what I am hoping for!

16. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

They don't want us to send our kids to school? <scratches head>

Too bad! Thing I loves school, esp her teacher. And this way I only have to pay for childcare for one child at the gym.

17. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Yes, it is hs, ms, and then elementary. However, they said elementary car riders can be picked up at 10am. Makes no sense b/c the others in the class will be doing nothing if car riders are being picked up early and others are waiting for the buses to finish w/ the hs. I have kids in all 3 schools...elementary, middle and 2 high schools. I put mine on the bus at 8am. They start close to 9am. Really? An hour to get settled in and "try" to learn something w/ the excitement of going home early. Yeh, not going to happen. LOL. Oh well, I have plans for mine when they get home. They can help mom get organized and clean. Oh, and do that homework that they better have in their backpacks.

Stephanie--mom to 7

18. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Yeah, I figure Thing I and Thing II will have plenty of time to fight while being stuck inside when she gets home. :cool:

19. Savealot

Savealot Well-Known Member

I really think that Jo. county could have made this decision last night. I saw the sign at my kids school that they would get out at 10am. They are in middle school and I dropped them off around 7:50am came back home and didn't get the call until a few minutes past 8am. I hope people flood the school board or whatever it's called phone lines complaining about the lack of EARLY communication. I guess he slept late and couldn't call at 6am like he has in the past.

The phone message said that the buses will start with high school first. I need time to mentally prepare for being alone with my kids all day! :) thanks for listening.

20. nsanemom22

I've told a lie! ... I think...

I just dropped off DS2 and there was a sign outside the school that said "The School Closes at 10:00!" And a teacher said as she closed the door, rather panicky, "10:00!"

So it looks like it's 10:00. lol

I thought it was staggered time wise as usual.