Potential Winter Storm - Johnston County

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Webmaster, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Smithfield, NC – Emergency Services employees have made preparations and are continuing to monitor the potential winter storm forecasted for Central North Carolina this evening.

Should the winter storm affect Central North Carolina, residents are encouraged to prepare disaster kits. Items to have readily available include a 3 day supply of water, medicine, ready to eat foods, manual can opener, battery operated radio, flashlights, and replacement batteries and if possible an alternative heating source. Citizens with special medical needs are encouraged to ensure they have sufficient supplies of: oxygen, medications, battery power, etc. to meet specific disability-related needs for the duration of the event. For a more complete list of items please visit the www.readync.org website.

We recommend residents take all precautionary measures possible including avoiding unnecessary travel should this winter weather event impact Central North Carolina.

Please continue to monitor radio and television broadcasts for further updates.

Johnston County citizens requiring non-life threatening assistance are encouraged to contact the Emergency Operations Center at (919) 989.5400.

2. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting. I always forget something in an emergency.

Sherry

3. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Am I correct in my thinking that since the Gov. has declared a state of emergency it is illegal to impede emergency services? That would include being stuck and blocking a road?

4. rwilkerson

rwilkerson Active Member

5. All Children First

All Children First Well-Known Member

There are a lot of falls...and my family just added to them. DH was salting the steps when he fell HARD. Knocked the wind out of him and several large bruises, but he's up and walking.

6. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

7. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

8. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I have a scanner app on my Droid, been listening to the Highway Patrol all morning. I would get pretty frustrated with idiots if I had that job.

9. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I've been listening for a little while.. they are as busy as a cat covering up ****!

10. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Cats are supposed to cover that up? My Daughter's cat thinks that's my job!

11. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

According to the scanner, wrecks are stacking up somewhere on 301 near Smithfield. I haven't figured out where they are.

12. rwilkerson

rwilkerson Active Member

They've had a ton of them on 301 between Smithfield and Four Oaks... and a few between Four Oaks and Benson. They also had one in Selma but Selma PD took it for them.

13. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Only ran across 2 slick spots on the way to work today (once I was finally able to pry the door of my truck open). First was at the end of my road and the second was on a bridge on Shotwell Rd. next tothe Lowes Food plaza. Both were passible if you use common sense, which I saw a few people out today that weren't.