JoCo 2 hour delay for Wednesday Jan 12

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Hatteras6, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Just got email from WRAL. 2 hour delay for students. No word on teachers and staff.

2. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Teachers/staff at regular time if safe to travel. From Clayton High's site:

Johnston County Schools will operate on a 2 hour delay for students on Wed., January 12. Staff should report at the regular time unless travel conditions are unsafe. In that event, staff should contact principals or supervisors. Please use extreme caution while traveling. Safety is a priority.

3. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Given that the mess that may have thawed today is refrozen, and it's doubtful that the roads will be thawed out by 10, it begs the question of whether or not Sheriff B or the area SHP commander has weighed in with Central Office as to how unsafe travel will be tomorrow.

If the county offices are not open until 9, why are we taking chances with the safety of our families who travel to school?

Just seems to solidify, IMO, that there are two things that drive the train of leadershipin JoCO : EOGS and 180 days. There is always an exception to policy that can be sought, especially for events of "force majeure" or Acts of God. (I personally don't like blaming God for naturally occurring events.)

But, it requires the moral courage to stand forth and say I'm making an executive decision based on the safety of the children of this district, rather than follow some policy, set by the all knowing folks at the state legislature.

4. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

our neighborhood near 40/52 and NC 50 all the way into Gartner are bone dry. no ice not even in low shady spots this morning.

5. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Same here in Clayton.....even the one bridge I cross was bone dry.

6. VivianS

VivianS Well-Known Member

I was thinking what you were Hat, that the roads would be a mess this morning, but was surprised that they are dry.
    At 7:25 this morning, while still in bed, I got a text from ABC11 saying school was canceled. I told our two high schoolers, so they went back to bed. Around 8:20 I saw on tv that school is delayed 2 hrs. I was thinking which is it?! So I checked the school site and WRAL and sure enough both reported a 2 hr delay. Needless to say the high school bus came at 8:25 so our kids missed the bus. I emailed ABC11 and told them of the text and they replied that due to software issues, two counties were misinformed of school closings. GRR! BUT I'm SO glad there was school today! LOL

7. mmchallen

mmchallen Member

Good call Dr. Croom & JCS! I know they get so much slack trying to make decisions with everyone in mind.