tips on doing disney cheap!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by dangerboy, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

ok...why? :allears:

2. Allioop

I thought about that :jester:

3. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

The rooms are small and it will take forever. I don't even know if you can get four in a room and they are not cheap. Drive....it is not bad.

I got down there in 8 hours and stopped twice. Granted I have a heavy foot but still it isn't that bad.

4. Allioop

Thank you, DMJmom. Good to "see" you again. Thanks for the tips!

5. Allioop

Yeah, I don't think my husband would have been crazy about the idea of Amtrack. He, however, does not have a heavy foot. He drives like a grandpa. I'll be driving some too so I can make up for his lost time. Watch out pedestrians and small animals. :lol:

6. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

7. Allioop

8. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

The drive to Orlando is about 9 hours with kids, when we go to FL we usually leave early in the morning 5ish, the kids are still groggy, the little ones go in pj's and change at a rest stop. We've been going back and forth to FL every year since we moved here in 2001, and have had between two to four kids as the years went on, they are 2, 6, 10 & 15. It can be challenging, but dvd's, mp3 players, leapsters, goofy road games, snack bags for each kid, whatever you think will help!!! and if all that fails, I second the duct tape :)

You'll be fine, just don't stress over it all, my dh says I bring more things in the van to entertain the kids than we actually pack to take with us :)

9. Allioop

Thanks! I'll try not to stress over it. I don't know why I'm a fairly patient person and don't get too stressed out until my kids bring it out of me. I embarrassed myself last week because my daughter kept ringing the doorbell. So I finally swung open the door for the third time and screamed at her and there were 2 girl scouts standing there. They looked at me like they saw a monster! :oops: I think I'll pack some duct tape just in case...for me! :lol:

10. On the go

On the go Well-Known Member

We don't plan to get a roomette, just regular seats.

11. On the go

oops!

12. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

even worse! please don't do that.

13. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

What do you care? ;) :lol:

14. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

I ride Amtrak every now and then and it sucks baws.

15. On the go

I used to ride Amtrak from Wilson to Florence once a month for about three years.

Please share your specific experiences so I will know why it now "sucks baws."

16. Allioop

:lol: I'm curious too! Could it really be that bad?

17. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Well let me ask you this.....you don't want to ride in a car yet you are fine with riding the train? Where is the advantage in that?

The car is quicker, will be on time, has more privacy, hopefully cleaner, can stop to eat real food, will be cheaper and likely just as comfortable given you aren't getting a roomette.

18. On the go

My preference it to fly. However, given different health needs of some of the passengers, we have to make frequent bathroom and stretching stops. Our last trip took 13 hours in the car with all the stops. My mom had back surgery and can't sit for more than an hour to 1.5 hours max. On the train, we can walk through the cars and use the bathroom as needed.

Car is quicker? No
    On time? Not in my opinion.
    Comfortable? Not with six people.

19. On the go

I want to know as well.

CanisLupis,

Please tell us all the details!! If we drive, we will have to stop half way for the night.

Seriously, I'm not looking for a debate. I want the "suck baws" details. :allears: I have spoken with someone who rode this route last week and another who rode in September. Both had positive comments.

20. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

You know your situation and preferences better than I do. I looked into doing the train trip back in Sept but decided against it. I've heard several horror stories from those that went and they even had a roomette. I can't imagine sitting out there with the general public, especially if you are going to try to sleep. The trip is through the middle of the night.

You are going to see all kinds of characters on that train....I don't mean the ones you will see at Disney.