What book are you reading?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ferrickhead28, Nov 28, 2007.

1. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'm not originally from TN. But I guarantee most of the fine folk from there are much more literate than you. 8)

2. brilliant assessment

3. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

4. Sherry A.

Listen, I know school is out right now but the grown ups are actually talking.

Sherry

5. yes ma'am

6. Sherry A.

Thank you.

Sherry

7. 1_more_PitBull

1_more_PitBull Well-Known Member

I'm reading The Secret by Beverly Lewis. I love her books. They are all about Amish people and how they live and what all they go through. I just fell in love. Here are the ones I have read already and own!

Annie's People series
    New York Times bestselling author Beverly Lewis once again has taken her enthusiastic fans deep into the world of the Amish. Through the pages of her fiction series, Annie's People, she introduces Annie Zook, the Amish preacher's daughter. Annie is caught between two worlds, and she longs to return to her forbidden art and the idyllic days spent with Englisher Ben Martin before her father ordered her to never see him again. Will they have a future together—or will the Brethren forever stand between their yearning hearts?

1. The Preacher's Daughter
    2. The Englisher
    3. The Brethren

Abram's Daughters series
    Abram's Daughters introduces readers to an Old Order family, a close-knit community and a devout people whose way of life and faith in God is as timeless as their signature horse and buggy.

Set against the backdrop of post-World War II, this compelling saga spans three generations of a Lancaster County Amish family. Abram Ebersol and his devoted wife are raising four courting-age daughters on a firm foundation of Plain tradition, and they expect their girls to carry on that heritage by joining the church and making a covenant with God.

But the "running-around" years known as rumschpringe are often a time of sowing wild oats. Each of Abram's daughters, choosing her own path, must come to terms with the Old Ways of thinking and living. And sometimes that path has detours and forks in the road with unknown destinations....

1. The Covenant
    2. The Betrayal
    3. The Sacrifice
    4. The Prodigal
    5. The Revelation

The Heritage of Lancaster County series
    An emotional and poignant trilogy of novels marking Beverly Lewis's entrance on the Christian fiction scene and trumpeting her arrival as a bestselling author. Set in the author's beloved Lancaster County, with its quaint Amish setting, each novel addresses issues of family, belonging, and community, providing a powerful look into a life of faith, a search for truth, and a promise of peace.

1. The Shunning
    2. The Confession
    3. The Reckoning

The Courtship of Nellie Fisher series
    A powerful new series based on an actual historical event—a heated debate over salvation and tractors that causes a group of Amish families to break away from the Old Order—and two young people who are caught in the heartbreaking divide.

Passionate and stubborn Nellie Fisher knows that if her family breaks away from their church district, she stands to lose her beloved Caleb, staunch in his Old Order beliefs. But if she follows Caleb, she will lose her dear family. And what of the gentle stirrings she feels when her bishop-uncle speaks of an assurance of salvation her soul longs for?

Continuing to meet at the millstream, their secret place, Nellie and Caleb are determined to be together. Will their families end up on the same side? Or will Nellie and Caleb be forced to part?

1. The Parting
    2. The Forbidden
    3. The Longing

8. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Has anyone read Douglas Coupland's 'Life After God'?

9. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

Reading an oldie I picked up at a yard sale...Fatal Vision by Joe McGinniss. It's based on the real life story of Dr. Jeffrey McDonald, the Ft. Bragg Capt. who murdered his family in 1970. I've had bad dreams every night since picking it up, but I can't put it down!

10. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Common Sense - Glenn Beck

11. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

61 hours - by Lee Child

12. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Divine Justice - David Baldacci and also Have a Little Faith - Mitch Albom...both good reads,

13. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice.

Read it several years ago but thinking about reading it once again,one of my absolute favorites! I especially like Memnochs version of the Creation story!

14. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'm working on "The Shack" by Wm. Paul Young and "Intervention" by Robin Cook. Yeah, I usually have 2 or 3 going at a time, depends on my mood. :cheers:

15. fireworks

fireworks Active Member

FLYBOYS Bought at a yard sale for $1. WII history. Factual history could be called adventure. Some graphic detail.

16. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

I've been reading "The Way to Love" by Anthony de Mello. It is life changing. It's a tiny book but packed full of wisdom.

I love this...Here's a parable of life included in the book:

"A group of tourists sits in a bus that is passing through a gorgeously beautiful country; lakes and mountains and green fields and rivers. But the shades of the bus are pulled down. They do not have the slightest idea of what lies beyond the windows on the bus. And all of their journey is spent in squabbling over who will have the seat of honor in the bus, who will be applauded, and who will be well considered. And so they remain till the journey's end."

17. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Finishing up Truman Capote's classic, "In Cold Blood".

18. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

The last one I finished was "The Help" by Katherine Sockett. Very, very good.

I've got so many I've started reading on the Kindle, I don't know where to stop. And downloaded 4 more last night. :lol:

19. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

Omg, that's one of my favorite books! I read it last summer, and couldn't put it down. I would love for someone to make it into a movie.