What book are you reading?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ferrickhead28, Nov 28, 2007.

1. shygrrl

shygrrl Well-Known Member

LOVE LOVE LOVE my Kindle!!!

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

It would be a good movie for sure. :cheers:

3. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

loved "The Help". Best thing I've read since "The Shack".

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I didn't get all the way through "The Shack". I need to try again. :oops:

Did you know "The Help" was her first book??? (and only so far) I swear I could hear those ladies talking, she did such a good job with the dialogue.

5. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

I borrowed the book so I don't have it with me now, but my favorite character was the woman who helped the ditzy rich woman. I liked both of them. My favorite thing about her though is making that pie with a "special ingredient" for the bitchy woman she used to work for. :lol:

6. Allioop

I would read any book she writes in the future. Yes, she did an excellent job with the dialogue. It's interesting in this book that the maids/housekeepers weren't able to raise their own children because they were raising other people's children. For the most part, there weren't any children being raised by their own parents.

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

At the moment, I see the wisdom in that arrangement!!! :lol:

8. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I appreciate this thread...see what I do is when y'all post a book I see if the library has it. and if my attention span is long enough at the time, I check it out!. So!~Knowing you good people-have good taste-... I check the books. So, thank you :) ... Seems The Help is two for two AND the library has it (they are expecting it back, must be popular) so I'll take a look at it next! Assuming I can concentrate that long. yay me! and you! :lol: lol

9. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

she did do good with the dialogue....it was amazing. The story is incredible. Alli, I vote Oprah to bring it to the big screen!

10. Allioop

:lol: Amen! :jester:

11. Allioop

Now that's an idea. :cheers: The narrator/author makes me think of Laura Dern or maybe Gwenyth Paltrow (I'm sure I just spelled both of those wrong)...I guess depending on the age she'd be at.

12. Ron Still

Ron Still Well-Known Member

Do you want a local copy and do you really mean Kathryn Stockett?

I think you do. I gather you all noted Wake has 360 copies-all checked out, on hold, damaged, or possibly stolen. Johnston has all but one of its 11 copies out, damaged, or missing. Selma has that copy on the shelf since the 18th according to the catalog. It might be good to have another source for books in Johnston County, which can provide additional copies, local stock, and more choices - oh, but we almost forgot. We do have the Cleveland Library with the second largest collection in the county - 120,000 books and videos. That's right. I remember now why I was asking for volunteers and donations.

Now I do know the Cleveland Library has both hard and soft covers of The Shack and at least one hard copy of The Help available and another on the way. Shall I order more copies for Cleveland? Please reply to: Ron@4042needs.org or call me at the library at 661-6565.

Already shipped:
    The Help - Kathryn Stockett
    The Art of Racing in the Rain: A Novel - Garth Stein
    Half Broke Horses: A True-Life Novel - Jeannette Walls
    Amazing Gracie: A Dog's Tale - Dan Dye

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  13. julie27858

julie27858 New Member

Just reading this post, I loved The Help also, Dreamworks is making it into a movie - here's the link: http://dreamworksstudios.com/films/the-help :)

14. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Don't feel bad, I couldn't get into The Shack either.

15. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

That's good news to me!! I kept wondering what the heck everyone one was talking about, saying it was so good Umm...........not to me!! So I quit reading it. Life is too short to torture yourself with a book you aren't enjoying.

I finished "Alone" by Lisa Gardner last night (free on Kindle a week or so ago) I liked it, esp for the price. :jester:

16. Allioop

I really liked The Shack. :) I cried at the end. Of course, I cry pretty easily. :lol:

17. Allioop

Hmmm...Emma Stone. I did not picture her at all. She's not a good actress, IMO. She's mostly played in comedies and she's not funny. Maybe she's better in a more dramatic role? I tried to watch Easy A and couldn't finish it.

18. david4042

david4042 Well-Known Member

Just got back from a long trip, reading "Quiet American" and another book "Men In White, history of the Political Party In Singapore" that I picked up when I stopped at Singapore after visited London. Very interesting 2 books...

19. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

Recently finished reading "Water For Elephants", which comes out as a movie April 22nd. Loved it! Will probably go down as one of my ten all-time favorite books. Don't even know where to start with praises for the book--it is well-researched, colorful, beautifully written, action-packed, has great twists and turns, and lets you run away to the circus for a few days.

I also just finished the Chicagoland Vampires series and the Mercy Thompson series (for any of you who like urban fantasy books--a new genre for me that I've found that I unexpectedly love), just for fun, and I really liked both of them too. Action packed with kick-butt heroines. I have been devouring urban fantasy series for the past year--my favorites are probably by Jeaniene Frost and Richelle Mead. Fun to get away from reality for a little while every day :hurray:

20. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Just finished "The Brass Judgement" last night by Michael Connelly, second in the Micky Haller series. The first was "The Lincoln Lawyer". Both books were great. The movie is great too. :cheers:

I have so many books on the Kindle right now, not sure which one I am going to start next. :jester: