Options for older folks

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Jan 20, 2011.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

What are the options for elderly people around here,such as Assisted Living etc.?
    A very sweet elderly lady that I know asked me to get some information for her.
    She will be turning 89 this year but is still getting around quite well,both physically and mentally,however the house and yard are just getting too much for her to handle.
    She does not want to move into a 'old folks home' though ;)
    I'm sure that there might also be some that are based on ones income while others have a wide range when it comes to the cost involved.

2. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about it, but there is that place that opened recently on Shotwell Rd. Lions (something) I think, not Lions Gate. If you are turning onto Shotwell Rd. in Clayton from Amelia Church Rd., it will be about 1/2 way down the hill on your right. Those appear to be apartments for elderly, and its nice that shopping is within walking distance.

3. SunShine26

SunShine26 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how far she's willing to go, but there's a place in Selma called Autumn Home Care. My grandmother has been there for 4 years come March and she LOVES it. It's not a rest home. It's more of an assisted living.

4. AnnetteL

Thanks Tassy! That must be the apartments right before you get to the Lowes Foods Shopping Center!? You're right that would be close to shopping as well as that park on Amelia Church Rd.!

5. AnnetteL

Thanks! Sounds worth checking into,it's good to know that your grandmother gives it a good review! I wonder if there are reviews available for places like that...

6. Hoof-Hearted

Hoof-Hearted Well-Known Member

Just from experiance. If this Lady wants to get into an assisted living place. be sure that she gets a Private room. or they may put some one in there with her that screams and yell s all nigt long. and if she has a dementia labled room mate she may have all her clothes being worn by that other person. I have worked in Nursing Homes and assisted Living for over 20 years. There are a Lot of down falls to these places. If she can afford it have her get an Aide for 2-3 days a week. Medicare will pay for that. heve her doctor. wright a script. and medicare will except that. I am sure this lady trust you . help her out. Visit her once a while. being by her slef sucks.

7. SunShine26

SunShine26 Well-Known Member

Autumn Home Care of Johnston County, Inc. II is an assisted living facility located in Selma, NC. Assisted living facilities, which range in size from a single home to a section of a larger community, typically offer an independent living space – usually a room or small apartment – plus daily assistance and services from trained caregivers. They’re generally more homelike, less institutional, and less expensive than nursing homes but provide more active individual monitoring than retirement or independent-living communities. Many residences allow personal furniture and have a kitchenette; some offer the option to either live alone or with a roommate.

Services likely offered by Autumn Home Care of Johnston County, Inc. II include help with bathing, dressing, laundry, meals, medication management, transportation to appointments, and 24-hour emergency response.

Assisted living facilities, such as Autumn Home Care of Johnston County, Inc. II, are normally paid for with personal funds or long-term care insurance and range in cost from about $2,000 to $5,000 or more. For some people with low income and few assets, Medicaid is available to help cover the costs of assisted living.

I could not find any reviews on this place. I can tell you that they get 3 HOME COOKED meals everyday as well as snacks. Their medications are managed by nursing staff, they have transportation to and from doctor visits, they are allowed to leave premisis with family as long as they are signed out. The owner, Thomas White, is a great christian man. His wife started the business years ago before she died of cancer and he's kept it running. I highly recommend Autumn Home Care to anyone!

8. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Thats the one... and I see the older folks out walking their little dogs, and taking care of the bird feeders, some of them have cars and still drive, so it must be individual apartments.

9. AnnetteL

Thanks so much for the info,I'll give them a call tomorrow.

10. AnnetteL

I googled Lions Senior Living,Clayton and came up with Lions Spring on Shotwell Rd.,will give them a call tomorrow. Thanks again!

11. AnnetteL

Thanks!