Looking for Pet Friendly Realtor

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Steeler_Fan, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Steeler_Fan

Steeler_Fan Well-Known Member

Anyone have any dealings with Pet Friendly Realtor? We are looking to sell our home, and we have 3 indoor cats that are elderly, so they cannot be removed from the home every time we have a showing. We are looking into options of moving them to a family member house, but they are renting out the home they own in 2 months, so that really not an option. We don't really have any other family in the area to move them to, and sending the cats somewhere that you pay for 6+ months it might to sell really not an option. We could keep them locked up in a room, and if someone really interested in the home I think they would come back and make plans for us to get the cats out so they could see the room?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

P.S. Go Steelers :cheers:

2. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I don't think the problem is going to be the Realtor, it sounds like you need to find pet friendly buyers. As a buyer, I wouldn't want to see cats roaming around when viewing a house. A Realtor will make all sorts of recommendations on how to prepare your home for a showing, keep it clean, neutral colors, take down some of the family pictures, etc. I would think that removing animals would rank right up there.

Do you have a garage or a shed or even a pen that you can put them in during a showing?

3. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

Along the same lines, could you exile them to a garage or maybe a utility room? Those self-contained radiant oil heaters they sell now heat pretty well so you could even give them a little heat source in the garage for not much money (they cost about $50). Or maybe you could just board the cats on weekends, instead of all of the time (eight days a month vs thirty)? That way probably for the majority of showings they would be out of the home.

4. fionna68

fionna68 Active Member

When we sold our house 2 years ago, we had (8) cockatiels, all in one huge cage. When our realtor listedbour home on MLS, he added specific instructions for the veiwing of the home that birds were in the house and that those viewing had to be 'gentle', no sudden movements or loud noises in their room and no sticking their fingers in the cage. Our birds were very sensitive to strangers and loud noises. Worked out fine.

While we were viewing homes ourslevs, we encounetred one home with 2 cats. They were very friendly and followed us around. I think as long as you give the people a heads up what to expect and what they should or should not do for their and the pet's safety, they will respect whatever instructions you specify.

Hope all goes well!

5. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I put a note on the front, back and interior garage door that we had a DEAF cat and NOT to leave the doors open etc.. basically I'd kill them if Mattiecat got out. :lol:

PS= GO STEELERS!!! :cheers::cheers:

6. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

I thought you moved last year around the same that I did? I remember messaging with you about the pet situation. We just got lucky and sold very quickly.

7. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

If you don't find another solution, I vote for keeping them in a second bedroom with a note on the door. Seeing one bedroom shouldn't keep someone from buying your house.

8. Steeler_Fan

Thanks all for the advise

9. Steeler_Fan

We did sell and bought a new house, which my wife hates, and does not like the area we moved, so time to sell again. :oops: