Has anyone fought a ticket issues by Cary Camera?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Melynda, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

Has anyone fought a ticket issued by Cary Camera because you were't driving the car?

I received a ticket in the mail today for running a red light in Cary. This is the 2nd time this has happened. The first time, my husband was driving the car, so I paid the ticket. This time, neither my husband nor I was driving. A friend was driving the car that day. I don't feel like I should be responsible for paying the ticket ... and I don't feel like its my job to tell the town of Cary who was driving the car. If a police officer had pulled the car over, they would know who was driving ... seems like it should be their job to figure it out if the camera is the accuser. I was able to view the video on-line of the alleged incident. The driver made a rolling stop at the light and then turned right. It doesn't appear that the driver made a complete stop, which was the reason for the ticket. Both my husband & I have proof of where we were that day during the time the camera photographed the car. I don't see where the notice w/the ticket allows an actual "court" date. Have any of you ever successfully fought a ticket of this type in Cary & won? The ticket is only $50, but I'd be willing to pay more than that to fight it.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  2. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Why don't you get your friend to pay? You were sent the ticked because of the license plate, not who was sitting behind the wheel.

3. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

"seems like it should be their job to figure it out if the camera is the accuser."

Now that is funny. They have your license tag number and car description. It is your responsibility to prove the camera wrong whether you personally appeal the ticket or hire an attorney.

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Your friend needs to straighten this out. Because guess whose insurance that ticket will affect?

I don't know how all that works, but I would fight it.

And another reason to add to the list why I don't let anyone drive my car!

5. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I may be totally wrong, but I didn't think tickets issued from camera enforcement affected your insurance? From what I understand, it doesn't add points to your DL so I wouldn't think it would add insurance points. Not sure, though. From what I've read, the conviction rate is pretty high on camera tickets. That's why the state wants to make sure your plates are easy to read without frames, covers, etc. I will guarantee you with 2 years, we'll all have rear and front license plates like those issued in other states like Virginia.

I'd approach your friend about it without being too hostile and see where it goes.

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I don't know, that's why I said I didn't understand how all that works? But it were me, I'd be askin my friend to pony up. :mrgreen:

As a VA native, what I see around NC floors me at times, LOL They are extremely strict on vehicles.

7. Melynda

No one in my family broke any laws. I don't think its fair or right for the town of Cary to try to make me tattle on a friend for making a right on red after a rolling stop because Cary wanted to save a few bucks by using cameras rather than a police officer who would have handled the matter correctly to begin with. I'm not being paid by the Town of Cary to do their job for them. I would hate to be the bad guy just because Cary didn't want to do their job right to begin with.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  8. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Nope, I've never fought one because I've never had one.

55MPH, two hands on the wheel, 10 and 2.....

9. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

The video didn't produce a clear enough picture of the driver?

In California a guy I know was able to fight the ticket because the lady behind the wheel was not him.

10. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I hope you didn't take my post to be condescending, because I don't know that much about it either except for what I read a long time ago and that may have changed. My tickets always seem attached to the arm of a state trooper. :mrgreen:

11. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Not at all! You don't have a condescending bone in your body! :jester: And mine too!! The last one was about 6'5" tall, he had long arms!! LOL

12. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

:)

Now not to get off subject, but how does NC and VA compare to each other in auto restrictions?

13. Melynda

I would have an easier time w/this system if the cameras took pictures of the driver. Instead it just takes a picture of the car from the back. It's almost like Cary cut every corner possible w/this camera system. Then they throw all the responsibility on the car owner. I don't have a problem w/the driver of the car paying the ticket ... I just don't think it should be my place to tell Cary who the driver was. If they had bothered to have an officer stop the car or if they had taken pictures of the driver ... then THEY may have been able to correctly identify the driver. However, they didn't bother with any of that ... they did a halfway job and now they expect me to pay or do their job for them.

The letter I received shows the date & time of the alleged traffic incident. I can prove that no one in my household was driving ... my husband was at a business appointment in Greensboro, I had a doctors appointment, & both kids were at school. If I can prove no memeber of my household was driving the car with very little effort. I don't think it should be my job to go a step further & tell Cary who was driving the car. It seems insane to me that I would have to prove someone else guilty in order for me to be cleared. Why should that be my job???

14. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

VA is way tougher about customizing your vehicle with things like window tints, headlights, decorative headlight and taillight covers, vehicle bumper height, loud exhaust, etc those are the ones that come to mind first. You would never get away with those under the car neon lights or colored lights around your license plate. Bone stock is about how they want it.

Inspections are tougher, in my opinion, based on the number of cars I see here that would NEVER be on the road up there. NC seems to be tightening up though, it's better now than it was when we moved here 10 years ago.

I'm not saying VA is better by any means, but it is different for sure.

15. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

They're really good at personalized tags, I'll bet 3 out of 4 Va cars have them.
    Now if they would just teach the drivers not to hang out in the left lane. There is no state in the nation where slower drivers are more confused about which lane they should be in. It's as if they do it on purpose. Everyone in my family has heard me preach about Virginia drivers in the left lane over and over again, I have to do it every time we take a trip. My kids may not be perfect, but if they know one thing, it's "slower traffic keep right". They have witnessed me gently remind other drivers about this on numerous occasions.

Geez, I'm getting all road ragey just thinking about it.

16. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Ha ha ha! That's funny! I can't remember the state I was in, but it was one of VA's neighboring states that had a sign that said "Yes Virginia......there is a speed limit!"

I don't think that is a VA thing, I run into it frequently here. :jester:

17. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Perhaps by loaning your vehicle to an irresponsible person they look at you as being an accomplice to the incident.

These cameras take pictures of all sides, not just the back. If this is so important to you why not ask for a copy of the other pictures so you can take them to the DA and prove that it is not anyone in your family that was driving.

18. CrzyForBaseball

CrzyForBaseball Well-Known Member

It may depend on your insurance company, but I know Farm Bureau does not change your insurance becuase of it. In their words "we do not trust those cameras". My wife got one in Cary at the Crossroads entrance. We're gonna just pay it since it does not affect the insurance. However, I think if you do not want to "turn" your friend in, you or them will just have to pay and be sone with it. It's a money making enterpise for Cary, they could care less who was behind the wheel, they just want their $50.

19. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Well-Known Member

They don't get reported to the DMV, so they don't go against your driving record or your insurance. Those cameras are a total scam that cities put in to increase revenue. They are owned and administered by a private company, not the police department. I got a camera ticket in Fayetteville 3 years ago that I never paid. Got a couple letters in the mail from that company saying that if i didn't pay it might effect my credit rating. It didn't, and after the two letters I never heard from them again. I've renewed my driver's license and my license plates since then and you can't do that if you have outstanding REAL tickets

Those things are just another way for the city and the defense attorneys to bilk money from the public. You want my advice? Toss the ticket in the garbage and forget about it.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  20. Melynda

The individual driving the car is a wonderful individual who my family ... and anyone else who knows them ... thinks very highly of. Definately not irresponsible. The car was borrowed to do a favor for my family. I've watched the video a couple of times and the driver isn't shown at all. From the back of the vehicle ... I could see the car approach a red light in the turn lane. It slows down ... almost but not completely to a full stop ... and then makes a right on red ... with no traffic approaching. Cary didn't even bother to take pictures from the front or side of the car, just the back. The ticket mentions that I would have to accuse someone else if I didn't want to pay ... and the accused individual would have to accept responsibility for the ticket ... If the accused individual doesn't pay, then I would be held liable. The individual driving the car would definately pay the ticket with no argument ... if the individual ever even learned of the tickets existence. I just don't think it should be my job to point fingers. As Tom mentions, from the letter I received it appears that the entire matter is handled by an outside company hired by Cary to help them malke a few extra bucks. The letter does state that my insurance won't be affected.