Non-cable options

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Vanosa, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Vanosa

Vanosa Active Member

Has anyone tried using an HD TV antennae to pick up broadcast channels (instead of using cable access), and, if so, how many channels do you get?? Thank-you!

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Yes, I get the following channels

3 PBS
    2 CBS
    3 ABC
    3 NBC
    2 CW
    1 My TV
    2 FOX

For a total of 16 channels over the air, could be more now but my last check I had these

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  3. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

*shudder*

That's slim pickin's!

Mine eyes have seen the glory.. lol

4. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

With Netflicks and Hulu to round it out were good!

5. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Free is Good! Break the TV habit and cut the CORD on $$$$ for TV. We did & were much better off for it!

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'm with you. I enjoy Discovery, History, Animal Planet and Nat Geo, etc. Cable stays on here although I don't have stuff like HBO and the like. I'll cut the budget somewhere else.

7. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

same here

8. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Also, a lot of the cable network websites have free episodes and movies, too. I think many of us feel compelled to have cable or satellite when, as already stated, there is plenty of entertainment to be had for free.

9. blessed2adopt2

blessed2adopt2 Well-Known Member

What she said!

Kelyel has it right. We probably watch 30 minutes of TV daily.

10. softballmom

softballmom Well-Known Member

We have had an antennae only for about 2 years. WE get the channels mentioned, a second set of PBS channels, and a country music video channel. If we miss a favorite TV show, most of the networks have the videos on their websites. So much entertainment is on the web, we don't feel deprived. My hubby can even watch the races online. Why pay when so much is available for free online? We do not miss the bill at all.

11. nsanemom22

I'm just wondering... just wondering here... isn't it nicer that if you are going to be 'plugged in' so to speak, to watch together than to have one person plopped in front of a computer while the other if twiddling their thumbs waiting?... or plugged in to their own other world watching something different? Just wondering...it crossed my mind. I just imagined seeing two people sitting apart while one watches something online. We've watched things online but the way the desk is made only one person can fit to see good. It's a small roll top and the monitor sits back a bit. And #2, in a world of big tv's these days. it's strange to think of people crowded around a small computer monitor ...unless it's hooked to your tv! Is it connected to the tv??

I got up at 330.. my brain may still be in bed..

12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

We have Hulu and Netflix as an option built into out main HDTV and as an add on for the 2nd TV.

TV Hulu is a little different than computer Hulu in that I can't get Sons of Anarchy on TV Hulu. My wife has to hook the PC up to the TV if we want to watch that together; somekind of contract restrictions on that show.

13. englishbullymom

englishbullymom Well-Known Member

We often hook up our laptop to the tv to see missed episodes since we don't have a DVR anymore and it works great. Just last night we were catching up on Modern Family and some others. It's very easy to do and is just like watching the actual episode. The ONLY time we miss forking over money to TWC or DirectTV is during ACC football season and then we just listen on the radio or watch games on ESPN3.com if they are available.

Trust me, we haven't had cable/satellite in over 2 years and I sure as heck don't miss that $130 check being written. Another thing that helps with having fewer channels is that we have our Wii hooked up where we can stream movies/tv shows from Netflix on-demand. Now that is worth the $10/month!! We have Bellsouth DSL and have never had any problems.

14. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

We have one more year with Direct and I will be cutting the cord!!

We like movies but DH would probably DIE if he didn't have his FOX news. :?

15. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

No CNN? Not sure if I could do it without having CNN.

Sherry

16. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I prefer NPR, I can do other things while listening to news, if I have to see something there is network news and the internet.

Even when I had it I avoided CNN & FOX News, rarely (like once a month) I would watch MSNBC.

17. Sherry A.

Thanks for responding. As long as options are available I might be interested because I'm like you on listening and not watching.

Something to seriously think about. Is the antenna on the TV or the building? I know this might be a stupid question but important in my mind.

Sherry

18. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Either works but we went with an external antenna.

19. nsanemom22

Wait. ... You mean I can connect my laptop to the tv? I am so in the dark ages. I didn't used to be here. *GASP* I'm becoming my mother! ... I can live with alternative means, but come college football season.. I don't think DH can do with out his Alabama games ..what ever channel they're on..

20. Sherry A.

Another BAMA fan? Yeah, baby!!! I can talk and watch BAMA all day and night long. Might need to get together next football season. Watch out, we don't talk when the game is on except to tell the players and coaches what to do.

Sherry