Looking for a Personal Trainer

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Mr.X, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Mr.X

Mr.X Well-Known Member

This past week my doctor gave me the bad news that my bad cholesterol was high enough to warrant having to start taking statins to lower it. I have a meeting set with a licensed nutritionist to work on my eating habits and weight issues.

I now need to work on the exercise portion of the picture. I am a member of Clayton Fitness but I admit I just sort of play it by ear. I have a book by Men's Health but I don't feel I am working out effectively or hard enough. I am a 47 year old guy, 265 lbs, 5' 11". I am too young to ignore this issue any longer.

I am looking for a trainer who can help me create an effective and above all challenging routine to help me get back in shape and get my weight and cholesterol under control. If you know of someone let me know.

Thanks!!

2. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Lemme touch base with my BIL today.
    I know he trains people at the gym over off 70/Shotwell. I cant think of the name right now. :banghead:

3. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Thats Clayton Fitness isn't it? Behind the Dunkin Donuts ??

4. Mr.X

Mr.X Well-Known Member

That's the one

5. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Talk to Scott, he's my BIL and trains there.

6. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

A very good friend of mine just opened her own business, New Image Personal Fitness. Go to the Facebook page or call her at 791-7451. Pretty sure she'll go to your gym or hers. Her name is Jennifer Broughton and I think she would do a GREAT job for you.

7. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

Dee Whittington

Thedeetrain.word press.com

She also has a Facebook page

8. Mr.X

Mr.X Well-Known Member

That is a little vague.

9. Mr.X

Mr.X Well-Known Member

I looked her up, she is in Wilmington. Doesn't help much in Clayton

10. LovingLife10

Sorry. She used to be local. My bad.

11. LovingLife10

My post was bad, but what is so vague about Harley's? She's saying go to or call clayton fitness and ask for scott. Tell him his SIL referred you. You asked for a personal trainer, she told you about one.

12. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Randy Long on 50 at Reality Workouts is a really great guy and works with you one on one at a good price. He believes in MYOB.

13. Jenna's Mom

Jenna's Mom Well-Known Member

In addition to gym membership, another thing that helps me out is taking martial arts lessons. The classes can be grueling, but you're not thinking about being with a group of women sweating to the oldies to try to lose weight in your normal group aerobics class. No, you're mind is working on perfecting your technique as your body is physically working through the technique. I take lessons at Redfield Martial Arts at 40/42 in the adult class, and yes, there are adult beginners there (like me and my hubby). Master Redfield is awesome, the first 5 classes are free to see if you want to pursue it, and then it's 35 for the first month including your uniform as an introductory offer. Also, there's no contracts, so after a few months if you decide it's not for you or real life gets in the way, you're not stuck paying till the contract is up. The adult all level (including beginner) classes are on Mondays and Wednesdays at 7:00.

14. Resident

Resident Well-Known Member

Randy is GREAT! You can also find him on Facebook and add him there. I know a couple people who have had great results with him. He focuses on healthy lifestyle changes, nutrition, etc.

http://www.realityworkouts.com/

15. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

Personal Trainer

do you by chance know what rates are - didn't see anything listed

16. Resident

Resident Well-Known Member

I can't say. If I tried to guess, I'd be guessing wrong. I know he's more than happy to give you rates by phone or email. I think it depends on the number of sessions you schedule with him. Sorry I didn't have the info!

17. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i may be wrong but i believe the first session is complementary.

18. Mr.X

Mr.X Well-Known Member

I don't want to be critical, I am just looking for a trainer. How many Scotts might be there? Might it not be helpful to have a full name and contact information for this gentleman? And if I call there who do I say recommended me? Harley Girl is a screen name. If I needed correcting I would talk to my mom.

19. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

No problem, I ended up emailing him.

20. LovingLife10

Wasn't correcting you. Just trying to understand what was vague about her post. I see now. Thanks for the clarification. I also thought your initial comment about her post being vague was a little snarky to be aimed at someone just trying to help you out. Thirdly, if you didn't want random folks like me commenting on your comments, I don't think public forums are the right spot to post them. At some point in college I was told that sarcasm is often misinterpreted in writing. Maybe that's what confused me about you response to her. Didn't mean to hit a nerve.