Benson Bullies

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by On the go, Feb 3, 2011.

1. On the go

On the go Well-Known Member

2. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

This is modern bullying, and people probably wouldn't believe how often it happens. The mother said that her son was sorry and embarrassed oVer what he had done.....the kid is sorry and embarrassed because he got caught and is in trouble. Time and time again I've seen teens with NO remorse for what they've done until they are caught. Even then, they are more worried about the consequences they will face than the consequences for the person they hurt. If they were smarter, they would know that putting threats in writing is all the evidence law enforcement needs to charge them with some serious crimes.

3. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Part of the problem is the empowerment bullies will get from using the Internet to proliferate their attacks. Furthermore, for the victim who is also 'cyberwise', the bullying follows them right into their homes. I guess nothing hurts worse than public ridicule in an open forum where a person can do nothing about attacks on their character. Obviously, its not just the Internet, though but also conducted by texting, as well. Immaturity and malevolence has been with us all along, but now our social networking technology has given growth to the dark ugliness that resides along with the positive attributes of it. Adults aren't even immune to the effects, but most certainly kids (specifically teens) who are targets of such bullies will no doubt feel a sense of hopelessness as their characters are thoroughly scrutinized for imperfections, warranted or not.

4. LovingLife10

I totally agree with this. These boys might not have had the guts to bully in person, but they do when they are hiding behind a computer screen. The same concept applies to boards like 4042. People commenting on the wral site say that the boy should have stood up for himself by fighting or confronting the two, but that would have only led to getting HIMSELF in trouble with the school and possibly the law. What are people thinking?

5. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

What ever happened to the days when you were challenged to meet at the flag pole after school. You and your bully. You had a one on one knock down drag out fight. With people standing around watching and then afterwards there was one winner, one lose and you both ended up becoming friends

6. LovingLife10

What happened is we evolved. We're not neandrathals anymore. Do you not realize that one wrong punch could kill a kid?

7. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

That is why as a parent I had software monitoring on our computers. Didn't care what my teen nor others thought about me monitoring. I'll never forget my daughter telling me I was infringing on her Constitutional rights. I told her this was not a "right", it was a "privilege" that not all had and hers could be stopped in a minute. It is a parent's responsibility for their child/teen and it never stops. Now the idiot is sorry about the gun threat? Both parents and teens should be held accountable.

Sherry

8. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

9. LovingLife10

Your examples you've given contradict your first statement. If you find problems with these links you've posted then how can you advocate fighting at the flag pole? My comment should have been that MOST of society has evolved and see that all of these acts of violence including fighting at the pole are not a good response. That's why it is against the law to physically assault someone...because we, as a society, have deemed it unacceptable behavior.

10. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

11. Grammie

Grammie Well-Known Member

One year on the bus a boy told my son he was going to come to the house with a gun and shoot his parents first and then him. I notified the school, they did nothing I notified the police they said boys will be boys. So I told my son to tell the kid come on over with his parents we would be waiting for them. Needless to say the kid shut his mouth and it ended.

12. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

I was just thinking about online bullying. I can't imagine being a teen these days with Facebook. It's hard enough knowing who your real friends are irl in high school. I would think it would be worse on Facebook - getting friend requests rejected or seeing parties you're not invited too or accepting/adding a friend that you don't really know and then they bully you or embarrass you. Someone mentioned earlier that even adults to that, but at hopefully adults can just ignore or delete those friends, but I'm sure it's not that easy for teens. Teens can be so insecure and they want to be accepted by their peers. I'm not even sure I'd want my own kids to have a FB account when they are older.

13. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

As a mom to 2 teen boys, I see it both ways. I think FB has opened the door to a lot of really good conversations for us (what is right/wrong/things to be careful about posting/etc). On the other hand, I have had to work harder to control myself and let them handle things on their own. I have that mama urge to jump in and that is not always the best answer. I do like that I have a ringside seat to brewing trouble that I might not otherwise have known about. It has been a learning experience for both of us, good and bad.
    As for not wanting them to have an account, I feel it is better to allow it and monitor it than to forbid it. They will find a way to have one, especially if you don't want it. At least, that was my experience as a teen. :mrgreen:

14. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

Thanks for this. Sounds like you've done it the right way! I don't have many friends with teens right now so I wasn't sure. I know what you mean about forbidding something just makes 'em want it more!