Cleveland High School - ProWrestling Fundraiser

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jsgarner, Jan 26, 2011.

1. jsgarner

jsgarner Well-Known Member

Cleveland High School FUNDRAISER! "Rockin' Rams Wrestling Night"
    Sat., February 26th! Tickets: $15
    Belltime: 6:30 p.m.!

Please join us on Saturday evening, February 26th. CvHS has partnered with IMS, LLC to host an evening of family fun and entertainment. We will host a PRO-WRESTLING event with many of today’s newest superstars and others from the WWE, TNA, WCW and more.
    Tickets on sale now!

Purchase tickets from the following:
    1. Any/all student-athletes at CvHS
    2. The front office at CvHS

or...
    3. Concession stand at CvHS home basketball games!
    [​IMG]
    Contact: Email Jeff Garner for more information...or call him at (919)763-9503!
    Or go to our website:

http://cvhsabc.shutterfly.com/

2. jsgarner

Re: CvHS Athletics Booster Club
    http://cvhsabc.shutterfly.com/

WRAL did a story on Thursday evening's news about the possibility of "pay-to-play" processes coming to Wake county.

Here's a link to the story on WRAL's website in case you missed it.

If Wake County is considering it...can Johnston County be far behind? Do (or can you?), as a parent want to pay upwards of $100 per sport for your son/daughter to participate? Believe it or not, these topics are being discussed and considered TODAY.

So, if you're wondering why we (Athletics Booster Club) do what we do, this is it.

Go Rams!
    Jeff Garner
    President - CvHS Athletics Booster Club

3. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

It is close to ten times that for most to participate in marching band and no, it is not easy, especially with one parent out of work at our house. Even with fundraisers, it is a "pay to play" price every single year and it doesn't include the instrument, shoes, gloves, etc. Many other sports/clubs/groups have their own fees to pay, why not mainstream sports? I understand that kids whose parents cannot pay will be exempt from the fee. For the rest, why not pay? I would prefer to keep as many teachers in the classroom as possible. Good luck with the fundraiser.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2011
  4. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Can I wrassle?? Set up a match with Dj fog and myself

5. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

Well, shoot, since you threadjacked your own thread, please tell me why I should fund any extracurricular activities that my child doesn't participate in? Honestly, no disrespect, but please make a convincing business case for this as a public expenditure.

6. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

The same reason they fund the ones your child does participate in, that others do not.

7. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

word

8. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

Really, the whole community has a vested interest in supporting sports in our high schools. Kids that are engaged in sports are less likely to get into trouble, more likely to try to do well in school, they stay more physically fit, have more self-confidence, and sports give them opportunities to learn how to lead, and how to follow. These are things that everyone in the community will benefit from in time. Sports can also bring a sense of pride and cohesiveness to a community. These are some of the reasons I think everyone should consider supporting athletics in our schools.

9. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

I find this fundraiser choice by a school a poor one. I don't consider a bunch of oversized, barely dressed men beating each other "family fun and entertainment". I guess it's a sign of the times.

10. Gomer Pyle

...perhaps my child doesn't participate, or perhaps they participate in a non-funded or partially funded activity. Why should any of them be funded when the schools claim to be starving for resources?

11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Good thing this isn't in the Political Pit! :jester:

12. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Because there is this, evidently foreign to you concept, called "community", and this is what we do for our children. You can choose to participate or not, makes no difference to me or anyone else but this is what we do, as parents, for our kids.

13. Gomer Pyle

I don't know you, but you presume to know me.

The OP's second post was regarding the possibility of pay-to-play coming to Johnston County, and I just don't see a problem with that. Maybe if the math and science clubs were funded on parity with the football team I'd feel differently, but they're not and aren't likely to be.

So tell me again please why the majority who does not participate or benefit from this activity should be paying dollar one for it...oh, wait, perhaps that's your definition of "community".

14. Gomer Pyle

I see your point, but economic survival in the 21st century won't be based on competence in football, and I don't believe that government funding for entertainment is a worthwhile expenditure.

Whether or not people that don't benefit directly from publicly funded education should pay for it is another issue entirely.

BTW, thank you for the civil discussion.

15. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Well said. Bottom line is if we keep them busy and interested in something, kids tend to stay out of trouble. There have been studies done that link academic achievement/high graduation rate w/ sports and extracurricular activities. Everyone needs a passion...some find it in sports, others in the arts, etc.

16. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

I say freedom of speech and keep arguing / discussing. Gives them more advertising and they can earn more $$ :mrgreen:

17. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider Well-Known Member

Behind the times much? South Johnston was doing this sort thing back in the 70s when I was in High School.

18. Mr.X

Mr.X Well-Known Member

Is there a larger version of the poster? I can't read who the participants are.

19. jsgarner

20. jsgarner

UPDATE!:cry:

This event has been canceled due to poor ticket sales. For those that were able to support this event, we thank you!

Sincerely,
    Jeff Garner
    President - CvHS Athletics Booster Club
    Go Rams!