opinions needed on backpacks for kids

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by dangerboy, Feb 6, 2011.

1. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

my 9 yr old carries a HEAVY load to and from school.
    Today I bought him a Northface Wasatch at Dicks. Nothing was on sale. It was sort of an inpulse buy. I didnt do any research. The sales person helped me decide on the best style for my son.
    The price downright hurt my feelings!
    Then I got to thinking a rolling backpack might be better.
    I would love some opinions.
    I would like to know stuff like:
    best style (single handle or bar handle)
    best place to buy
    best for very tall child (4 ft 10")
    most roomy
    reasonable price. i am willing to pay for quality, ergononics, etc

thanks!
    db's wife

2. wed2x

wed2x Well-Known Member

I have bought most of mine from LL Bean. They are by far the best quality. You can even get them mongrammed. I know that some of the schools/grades do not allow rolling backpacks, so may want to check to be sure. I also giggled that your very tall child is the same height as myself. :lol:

3. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Okay, since my oldest son is on his 4th back pack this year, I thought I'd chime in. We buy several backpacks when on sale throughout the year. NEVER again. Tired of always buying back packs. Found out LL Bean seems to be the best (did research) and the best part is if it breaks, they'll replace it. No questions asked. So, well worth the money. Shoot, had I done it the beginning of this year, it would have been paid for by now. My son carries around 28 lbs. of books. BTW, I think that is SO stupid. I never did that in high school. Anyhow, I'd try LL Bean for sure next go around. Oh, many, many schools no longer allow rolling backpacks so check on that one first. Good luck.

Stephanie--mom to 7

4. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

My kids have been using a Jansport for the past 4 yrs, and they've held up great. One is now a freshman in HS, so he's been using his since 6th grade.

5. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I'm interested in backpacks also! I learned to buy the ones with the cushioned bottoms because if it has a thin bottom, holes will be worn into it quicker from the corners of the books. Even the lightest of binders have pointy corners that cause wear on the bottom.

I'm looking for BIG backpacks!
    We bought Swiss backpacks from Kohl's, the biggest they had, and it's too small for my 6th grader. He says some classmates have larger ones than his and their stuff fits. They even have extra binders, which is needed. I'm trying to get him to find out where they got them from. Wheeled bags are out. If they use a wheeled book bag they have to use it as their locker and keep it in homeroom. Therefore, drag their entire locker back and forth to home everyday.

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

LL Bean. DS is also in 6th grade. He got a new one to replace the one he used for 3 years in elementary school (it still looks great) and it still looks new halfway through the year. He also carries many books home. You can order different sizes too.

Other than that, my only other recommendation is something from REI.

7. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

LL Bean, my daughter gets a new one each year, just to give her a fresh start, but there is never no need to, still have them all here at the house. The best ones out there we have found! Highly recommend them! She did have the roller one and yes they weren't suppose to have them, but nothing was ever said to her about it..this year she has a regular back pack, no wheels, better to get in and out of the car and bus. (she's in 5th grade)
    Sheri

8. dangerboy

i think im going to skip the roller style.
    i forgot, my friend swears by LLBean backbacks. Now I just need to decide if Im too lazy to return the one from Dicks and to wait for one from LLBean to arrive. hmmmmm....Im leaning toward keeping the one from Dicks.
    DB says im putting way to much thought in to this. that is a man for you.
    -db's wife

9. ginger1989

ginger1989 Well-Known Member

LL Bean fan here, too. My son has had his since Kindergarten ( he has the med one) This year, the zipper broke. We sent it back and got a brand new one free. They are great. They come in dif. sizes too.

10. blessed2adopt2

blessed2adopt2 Well-Known Member

I agree with Stephanie, LL Bean. I also get my kids the lunch boxes, as they fit well together. So far, we're in our 2nd year with everything, and these backpacks are non the worse for wear.

11. nsanemom22

:jester:

12. wed2x

wed2x Well-Known Member

Yes, we also get the lunch boxes. We used to live in Maine (where LL Bean originates). My husband had a pair of boots that were guaranteed. Had them over a year, went in the store and they sent him in the store to get a new pair. They stand by EVERYTHING. I dont think D icks's will let you bring things back with that kind of guarantee. Its a lifetime, not 30 days.

13. nsanemom22

I try not to shop at D icks. They ruined their reputation for me when one summer I bought a pair of shorts from them for DH's birthday and he didn't like them so when we went to return them they charged us a restocking fee! I hate shopping there and only go there if I have to now. I think the name if their store is perfect.

14. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I don't care for their customer service, or lack of... You're basically invisible until you flag down somebody that has been standing there the whole time while you are very obviously searching for something.

15. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

I don't have that problem there at all. Usually have people asking me if they can help me.

Maybe it's that crazy deranged look I usually have and they are trying to get me out of the store fast.

:jester:

16. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I always buy LL Bean, just like the others said. My daughter would use it for a few years and then want a new style but she is still using her last one from high school in college and the darn thing is holding up well.

As far as the rolling book bags.......when mine was in school in Johnston County I, too, was concerned about the strain on her body with all the books so I did buy her a rolling book bag one year. The school told me no rolling book bags on the bus or at school. Hopefully their bodies can withstand the weight they carry around.

In my opinion, I would take the other one you bought back for a return as their is no need to have two hanging around.

LL Bean can get you a book bag in no time so if one is in need and they have it in stock it can arrive next day or the same week.

Sherry

17. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Hmmm, you are probably right. I'll just bring Thing I & II with me and let them loose, that's how I get registers opened up in packed grocery stores.

18. dangerboy

my lil fella put his new backpack on this morning and kept talking about how light it was and that i must have left something out of it but i hadnt!
    he said it was so comfortable. guess i picked a winner!! db's wife