The Flu

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Allioop, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

So far our family has been lucky to have avoided the flu this year. Here's what I noticed... Most of the people I know who have had the flu or currently have it now already had their flu shot. I know this happened to my husband a few years back and he refuses to get a flu shot now. I heard that some years the shot prevented the wrong wrong strain of flu virus. It sounds like that's the case this year. Has anyone else had this experience for this season's flu? My youngest daughter is the only one in our family that got the flu shot this time. The rest of us didn't but I'm not against it.

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

You are correct, each year they take their best guess as to which influenza strains to address.

Due to the number of people I am exposed to, and the conditions to which I am exposed to them, I always get my flu shots. Fortunately its been a few years now since i have had the flu.

I wish they had a food poisoning vaccine!

3. irishluck

irishluck Well-Known Member

the flu shot introduced it into your body so it can build resistance. I've also noticed, like you, a lot of times people who get it get sick. But doctors argue that the sickness you get from the flu shot is much milder and shorter lived than the real thing going around. Still, i as well decided to never get it. I can't even remember the last time i got the flu, if at all. So i guess i'm just lucky. I'll stick with my fruits and veggies to protect me :mrgreen:

But to answer your question, i don't personally know anyone who has gotten the flu but i have heard of "friends of friends" getting it. I HAVE had family members get a cold this year though.

4. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

Did you get food poisoning? If so, do know where you got it? I only ask because a few weeks ago I ate at a restaurant in Clayton, and in the middle of the night that night, I woke up with severe stomach pains.
    Vomitted twice that night, then was all better. Weak stomach afterwards
    but never really felt bad other than the midnight episode. Could that have
    been food poisoning? The only thing that would make me think it wasn't food poisoning is that the group i was with all shared their meals so i didn't eat anything that someone else at the table didn't eat.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  5. LovingLife10

Just saw on the news that a triangle area teen died from Flu this week! Also said that theRe is a possibility that a new vaccine will be available i the near future that vaccinated againt all known flu strains.

6. shygrrl

shygrrl Well-Known Member

My DH just had the flu this week and he did not have the flu shot and the the rest of us so far HAVE NOT gotten it and we all got a flu shot (3 of us) so I don't know. Seems like it is the opposite for us, thank goodness!!

7. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

No, as far as I know I have never gotten it from the North Carolina area.

Last bad bout I got was from a bad Mexican chain near the Hobby airport when I was trapped due to weather, oh it was a glorious weekend (thankfully the hotel had washing machines).

8. LovingLife10

Ionically, the place i ate at was mexican.

9. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Took 5 kids to the great wolf lodge over the weekend. Two have strep throat, one is throwing up and I have a fever or 103.

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Never had a flu shot in my life. I've only had the flu twice that I know of. I had to go to urgent care last night since I have been sick for nearly 3 weeks and spiked a 102 temp yesterday with advil already in my system. $150 worth of meds later for an upper respiratory infection............I hope I am on the mend. This **** is getting old. I thought I had kicked it last week, but either I got something else or had a relapse.

11. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

We all got the shots here.

dang CL I hope every one feel better soon

12. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

Oh Hught - That sounds awful! It would be nice to have a food poison vaccination! I'd like to just have "common cold" vaccination available. I've had two colds back to back since Christmas.

13. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

If getting a flu shot just means avoiding the worst symptoms, I'll get one any time. Since our son was born, we get one. Furthermore, pneumonia can be a complication of the flu and I've had that before...three years ago...and I do not want to go through that again if I can help it. Had a partially collapsed lung and then developed pleurisy the next week. It takes weeks to get over penumonia. While I was in the hospital, they gave me a pneumonia shot which is good for five years and you better believe I'll be getting a booster in a couple of years.

14. LovingLife10

That is awful! I think that is what happened to the teen from somewhere around the triangle who died from flu complications. What a tragedy. My family has also been getting the flu shot since having our children. Wouldn't it be great to have a cold shot like allioop said?

15. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

My youngest got the flu last week...high fever, chills, head crud, cough. We all had shots in November, but he still seemed to have it full blown. He was really sick for about 5 days and missed 4 days of school. Took him to the doctor because he wasn't getting well and they also found an ear infection. I felt really bad for about 4 days and ran a low temp (97 degrees). I went to the dr and was told I most likely had a strain of h1n1. My hubby has had a bad cough for about a week. Weird stuff going around. READY FOR SPRING!!

16. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

17. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

Myself, husband and son have all had flu shots for the last 6 years. Out of all of us, only my son who is now 9 has gotten the flu. The has it right now, had it last flu season and the flu season before.

18. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Well-Known Member

Got a flu shot a couple of weeks ago, got the flu yesterday and came home from work. Looks like I'll be on the couch for a while.

19. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

After being in bed all day yesterday, I am now progressing to a chair.

20. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

The flu sucks!!! I had bronchitis last week, and my son had the flu. Sunday I finally felt normal, then Monday morning I woke up with the flu. :banghead: We don't get the flu shot anymore, basically because my middle son is the one who gets sick, and the last time he had the flu was after he got the flu shot, and it was bad. So I didn't see the sense in putting my kids through the "terror" of getting a shot if they're still gonna get sick. My son is actually still sick, but not contagious anymore and went back to school today. His first day there since last Monday.

I hope everyone that's sick gets better!