School Cuts

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kevinsmithii, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Hat, Can I interest you in a two year subscription to ESPN magazine? Only 40.00 and Corinth Holders High School keeps 30.00.

2. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Don't fund athletics entirely by the school board. make it a 100% community/booster funded activity. If no federal dollars are spent by the schools, there is no violation.

Parents for the big three fund less than parents of band, swim, cheer, FBLA, FFA, chess club and a host of others.

3. Hatteras6

Cleo,
    thanks for the offer. As we're in the Cleveland High School district, we are supporting them, as best we can.
    H6

4. Cleopatra

Cleveland has plenty of money, you should give to us instead. The cheerleaders had to raise money for their uniforms... poor girls were cheering in t-shirts and shorts while the other cheer squads had their fancy outfits.

5. Suzie Q

Suzie Q Well-Known Member

Last I checked it costs money to attend a football game. I don't see anyone paying to see a band concert. And I am sure there are a few parents who pay just to see their kid play in the band but by judging the empty stands at half time those are not the majority.

6. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

exactly, it brings in money to the school plus giving kids without money the opportunity to attend college in a lot of cases.

7. Cleopatra

It costs us 20.00 as a family to watch my son in any sporting event. Or we can buy a booster pass for 250.00? I think. We will next year, but were caught off guard this year after buying back to school stuff. I know we have payed more than 250.00 so far, and baseball tryouts are next week. He goes from one sport right to the next.

8. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Those are not revenue producing activities. Good grief people, most of those listed above are for those hoping to spruce up their high school transcripts.

It's amazing how the same folks that want the government to fund BS will be the same ones raising cane when the school board funds something worthwhile like high school athletics.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  9. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Sure, PM me any details.

10. Hatteras6

I would guess that having to earn them, they were more inclined to take care of them. I compare this to the piddling amount of uniform allowance the Army gave me as a private, wondering who the 6 or 7 bucks per month was enough to replace stuff. QM Laundry wasn't required, if you wanted to spend the time in the laundry area, washing and ironing uniforms. Yet, every sergeant I had busted on those guys who didn't use QM laundry. Laundry cleaned 26 pieces per week. The 6 bucks was enough to make sure you had a pressed ( used to be starched ) uniforms.

Things I pay for, I tend to take better care of. Sure your cheerleaders do also.

FWIW, it's not what they're wearing, it's the cheers they are leading that count. Good teaching point there....it's what's inside that counts.

And, I do wish your cheerleaders success!