Cleveland Fire Dept Fundraiser

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by mordorboy, Feb 7, 2011.

1. mordorboy

mordorboy Well-Known Member

Is this thing for real? I was met in my driveway coming home today by a person asking for $40 for the fire dept. Does anybody know if it's legit?

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I just made my annual donation to the Clayton VFD. Same lady comes every year though.

3. Grammie

Grammie Well-Known Member

Yes it is. If you donate to them you get your portrait taken at the fire house. I thought it was over so check their id

4. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

yep it you do a search the capt posted about it, but he needs to change that name with his new duties :jester:

5. cvfdcaptain

cvfdcaptain Well-Known Member

HAHA!! you are right about that SM!!!

6. sacosta

sacosta Well-Known Member

They need to find a better way to do this. I'm sorry, but when a stranger comes to my door claiming to represent the fire department, and is being kind of pushy that I give him $40 dollars....he's not going to get it.

On top of that the ID tag he was wearing was something anyone could create on a printer. It didn't look legit to me.

There's too much fraud going on these days for me to just trust someone asking for money.

7. gillac

gillac Well-Known Member

Every person's experience is probably a bit different, but I don't appreciate being followed into my garage by someone I don't know. I agree they were very pushy.

8. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

I try to give to the fire department and other public service groups every year, but with all of the news reports of people pushing their way in your home and robbing you, I am very reluctant to open the door to anyone no matter who they claim to be. I think I am just going to go to the fire department to make my donation this year and just apologize to the fireman who comes knocking on my door when i don't open it for him.

9. cvfdcaptain

sorry for any inconvience

i think this may solve some of the problem,,,
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_321861-37672-839840_4294865714__?productId=3179089&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=/pl_House%2BLetters%2BNumbers%2BYard%2BSigns_4294865714__%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1%26page%3D10

10. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

11. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I have one of those. Doesn't stop them from coming. In fact, what turned me off the most was that the lady couldn't put her cigarette out long enough to make her visit. She laid it down on the edge of my porch railing. When I opened my door it sucked all of the smoke inside. Nice.

Good cause. Approach needs work.

12. Crysta

Crysta Guest

They got me at home today. I have no problem supporting our local fire department.

13. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Are you kidding me? I would FLIP out if somebody did that.

14. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

what if they offered you a drag??

15. cvfdcaptain

look folks

i usually try to keep the forum up to date on any news thats pertains to the FD and our constituants,, if you are having problems with the people who are SELLING photo packets,,,,PLEASE CALL THE STATION!!! all complaints are handled immediately, by this i mean we call the studio rep for the event and DEMAND these actions be addressed and handled,,we have already stopped using Summit Productions,,,, and it seems we may have to stop using Superior Photography as well!!! call the station and let us know! Posting here will probably go un-noticed for a period of time!!!

16. Crysta

Crysta Guest

Wait, I'm confused. Are we donating to the fire department, or buying a photo package? I don't mind the former, but have an issue with the latter. I was told that they were taking donations for the fire department and as a bonus giving out a free picture (which we don't care about). I was also told it was tax deductible, which is certainly not the case if it's the latter, and may also not be the case if it's going to an organization of the fire department that is not a qualifying not for profit. What's the deal??

17. cvfdcaptain

here goes,,

this as easy as i can explain this,,,,,when you give your "donation" you receive a sitting and 1 photo,,,we receive 100% of this money,,,now if you elect to get a photo package,, they keep 100% of that money,,,,so if you consider that a donation,,so be it,,,,also that money goes to the Cleveland Firefighters Association,,,NOT THE FIRE DEPT,,,We are a separate non profit organization recognized by the state of NC,,please if you have any questions at all,,PM me and will be more than happy to answer them to the best of my ability!!! ALSO,,if you would like for them to not bother you next year,,call the station and give us your address to pass along to them,,,,,,,,whew!! should have taken typing in HS!!!!

18. sacosta

sacosta Well-Known Member

Can we come down to the station and give you $40 and skip the middleman?

and cvfdcaptain...I don't mind giving to you guys at all. I think you all do a great job, and I really want to support you. I just don't much care for the pushy guy coming to my door asking for money. It kind of freaked my wife out. She wouldn't open the door, and apparently he wouldn't go away.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  19. cvfdcaptain

you sure can,,we just thought it was a win win situation,,if you feel threatened at all,,,call the JCSO!!! we are not in the "making people uncomfortable" business!! and please accept our apologies!

20. nr4042

nr4042 Member

I'm sorry but if that was an actual person from the fire dept. that knocked on my door last week, he was very unprofessional. If you plan on doing a fund raiser in these times you should try to organize it a little better. The guy who came to my door had no other identifiable means on him except an ID that looked like it was made by a 2 year old. I could have easily made a better ID in 15 minutes on a computer. And then he was rude when I did not cooperate because I didn't believe who he was, he looked up at my house like as if to say I hope you never need us. Truly unprofessional, I would never give if this is the sort of person knocking at my door. Send me a letter in the mail with a return address and something official and I would gladly contribute the $40 they where trying to shake me down for and maybe even more. Send the guy who came to my door last time and I would never open the door.