Year Round School

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by MrsPeepers, Feb 9, 2011.

1. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with the modified school calendar, and I would support the change if only they would put all of the schools on the same calendar. Southeast Raleigh High School operates on a modified calendar, as does Cardinal Gibbons and Cary Academy. So there is no reason to not put all of the schools onto the same calendar that I can see, since high schools are even able to operate with this (surely middle school isn't nearly as demanding with the types of classes and EOC's and deadlines that high schools have as compared to middle schools). To not do so just causes unnecessary hardship for families, especially with the idiotic 4 absence rule that Johnston County has (automatic fail). That rule would have to go. The change could work out well if the schools recognize some of the needs of the families that are effected.

2. ginger1989

ginger1989 Well-Known Member

It was presented to the staff of my chidren's elementary school last year and there was an overwhelming NO. It didn't even get to the parent level. I will be voting NO.

3. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

4. MrsPeepers

MrsPeepers Guest

They dropped staff approval from 75% to a mere 50%. Most younger teachers are in favor of the modified year. However, seasoned teachers and those with families typically don't support the change.

Last year Smithfield and Corinth went with the modified year. They had very low scores. When most students had the week off, lower performing kids had to come back for intensive remediation. In short, these kids didn't really get a break. Yes, the scores went up, but at what cost. Uh... burn out? Keep in mind that if this DOES go through, there will be NO option for parents to opt out.

As Hatteras mentioned, if you look at the scores most of JCS's schools are very high. I'm not quite sure what exactly will be gained from this. A couple of percentage points... maybe? Like he said it's like comparing apples to oranges. Sure they are both fruit, but that's as far as it goes.

5. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I will certainly get my vote in.

I am not buying their reasoning. They spend the first week of school reviewing from the summer, the last month of school reviewing for the EOGs and the last two weeks of school twiddling their thumbs. Seems that time could be spent more wisely instead of having the kids in an endless rotation of school to try and boost scores of the few poorer-performing schools or cramming at the end of the year to Teach That Test!

I get that the school system is not a democracy, but really - 50%? Young teachers who likely don't have children of multiple ages, abilities, and activities? Why not survey the ones that will actually be affected by this - the families, the parents of the students.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  6. MrsPeepers

MrsPeepers Guest

No, the school system is not a democracy. School system decisions are decided by the latest educational fad. If one could show research that scores could be improved by eating Fruit Loops every other Wednesday while singing "Edelweiss" some system, somewhere would buy the idea. Charge $1,000,000 for the books, materials, & training and one could get comfortable real quick.

7. Cleopatra

Hmmm... You just gave me an idea for a new business.

8. mvenito@nc.rr.com

mvenito@nc.rr.com Well-Known Member

where/when do you vote? I'm soo voting NO!!

9. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Big NO here too.

10. Hatteras6

11. Hatteras6

Right now, it sounds as if the principals are surveying their staff, and if 50% of the staff wants this, the principal is going to proceed. It may never get to the parents to have a voice, before the principal has chosen a course of action.

Unfortunately, it seems that unless it's a bond issue that needs promotion and support by the parents, we are going to be on the stinky end of the stick.

There are many familial issues which are not of concern to the principals, it seems.

It sounds as if there is a rush to be the first, to let our elementary schools become the lab animals in a grand experiment, the outcomes of which are equivocal, at best.

Before a decision of this magnitude, and especially being dictated to by the schools (who work for us, remember) and not offering an alternative for those parents who would keep their children in a traditional schedule, the principals, schools, and the Central Office hierarchy need to reach out to us, and have a open, transparent, frank discussion of the merits and the adversities associated with this.

12. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

I have always heard that having the high schools on a modified or year round schedule interferes with the sports programs.
    -db's wife

13. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

I have never heard that before...do you know how it would interfere? Cardinal Gibbons has a very successful athletic program, as does Southeast. They both compete with other public high schools. I would be interested (seriously) to know how their schedule causes any interference.

14. Cleopatra

Because instead of already being at the school for after school practice/games - you have to drive them there? That's one interference I can think of, what a joy that would that be, when you are expecting other kids home from school during the same time-frame. You would have the same issues with Middle School sports.

OP - I need more facts before I go off half-cocked (new Year's Resolution lol). Which schools are proprosing this and exactly who do I contact

15. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

EXCELLENT POINTS: TY Hatt.

16. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

well, what if the quarterback tracks out two weeks into football season? he's on vaca but he still has to attend all the practices and games like he was still in school...kid loses his vaca or his starting position

17. Cleopatra

Exactly, my son is a starter. Of course he loses most of his summer vacay this way, too. And then what about the pep rallies - he would have to go to school for those too, or miss out.

Summer jobs? How would they find worthwhile summer employment?

18. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I haven't read this thread and I'm not going to because I have way too much self importance to care what anyone else thinks.....

However, for what it's worth, I know several parents of children who have gone to a year round or modified year round school. Every one of them said that they liked it better than the conventional calendar and they all said they would do it again.

19. On the go

On the go Well-Known Member

My children are in year round schools and we love it. Sadly, this is our last year as my oldest will be in high school next year.

Why is Johnston Co considering this option?

20. Hatteras6

I've been waiting for a response, one that could demonstrate a clear and convincing benefit. I haven't found any statistically sound, relevant and replicable data that would suggest a change of this magnitude.

The root push behind this seems to be that "It's the hot topic" and seems that the principals are in a race to be the first to have it happen in their school, so they can appear to be on the forefront of educational solutions.

Where's the unarguable data?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011