johnston county or joco?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by dangerboy, Feb 11, 2011.

1. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I am a native from Pine Level. I had never seen/heard JoCo used until I joined Facebook. Now, I see and hear it everywhere. I am not really opposed to it, but I do agree that it seems to exemplify the laziness in our society. Or maybe people like it because it rhymes...who knows. I still say Johnston County, but I am old fashioned like that. I still say Kentucky Fried Chicken, Trans Siberian Orchestra, etc. To each his own.

2. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

all the worlds an acronym these days....

WTH?

3. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider Well-Known Member

I'm a Johnston County native and always say Johnston County.

But if asked where I'm from always say "Benson"

4. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

For all the times you made me laugh, glad to give you one back. :)

5. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Always Johnston County for me!
    Funny srory about Johnston County. In 1958 I was stationed at Ft. Bliss, El Paso, Tx. when in the Army. Someone came in and said there was a new guy from NC in D Battery. I went over and introduced myself. Here is the conversation:
    Bucky: Hi I heard you were from NC. Where bouts?
    Pope: Close to Raleigh
    Bucky: I'm from around Raleigh also.
    Pope: Close to Wilson
    Bucky: I'm from Johnston County
    Pope: I'm from Kenly
    Bucky: Clayton here, good to meet you!
    If you start the other way, Kenly or Clayton, you had to be from around here to know where these towns were located. LOL

6. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

where from

Born in Mich. Came to NC from California, Been here since 1972. Moved to Raleigh in 1984.
    Moved to clayton in 1988,
    Where do I live? Johnston County, and proud of it. I guess JOCO might be ok if Writing sumtin quick.

7. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Like a check to the liquor store.... 8)

8. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

My standard answer is "East of Raleigh"

9. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Do you pronounce it "Bent-sen" or "Ben-sen"...Folks I know from Clinton rarely use the 't' in their pronunciation, I figured the loaned it to the folks in Benson.

It's still a locus amoenus, in my book.

10. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Dats where I grew up. Or Jontson. Only people from Rahliegh called it Johnston.

11. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

:lol: Now that was funny right there...I don't care WHO you are!!

12. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

see, i'm from rahleigh (not rawleigh) and i never called it anything but johnston county. actually, we used the town names more than the county name...smithfield was about half way to kinston, which was about half way to the beach: time for a co-cola out of the cooler and a donut, or a nutty buddy from byrd's....

13. softballmom

softballmom Well-Known Member

I call the place I live JoCoNOCo, when I am being vague, and McGee's Crossroads when I am not. I have lived here 16 years. I grew up In Elizabeth City(E City), and we had a road there named Elcinoco. Short for Elizabeth City, North Carolina. I kinda like it.

14. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Saying "JoCo" is about like wearing your cap backwards. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Since when did four syllables become so difficult? :jester:

15. ksvolcjak

ksvolcjak New Member

Funny about 'Rahleigh' and 'Rawleigh.' My grandmother was from Fremont (Wayne County) but spent most of the last 57 years of her life in suburban Maryland. She said 'Rawleigh'. Her sister, who moved from Fremont across the county line to Kenly, says 'Rahleigh.'

I say Johnston County (or 'Cowny' on occasion!) because Garner means Wake Co. and we're too far from Clayton for it to count. If I find I am talking to someone familiar with the area, I will say Cleveland School.

If you look at old maps of the county, there's only a handful of official towns, and a scant handful at that. Outside the county, saying 'Johnston County' is often the most accurate.