Park/place I can hike with the dogs

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by smallone, Feb 11, 2011.

1. smallone

smallone Well-Known Member

This weekend is supposed to be nice and warm. Does anyone know where I can legally hike with the dogs in Raleigh? We went to Yate's Mill 2 weekends ago- and didn't see the "no dogs allowed" sign until we left. :(

I'm not looking for a dog park- -- too many changes of non-vaccinated dogs and a really high rate of Kennel Cough.

Thanks in advance!

2. Hotwire

Hotwire Well-Known Member

A suggestion in the Raleigh area would be Lake Johnson, which is off Avent Ferry Rd. If you want something local to Cleveland, you could try the Smithfield Greenway (it has some nice scenery by the river and is about 6 total miles long if you park and walk), the Clayton park, or Lake Benson park.

3. smallone

We love Lake Benson. Do you know if I am able to let him off leash temporarily there to play ball? I don't want to get in trouble. He's extremely well behaved and obedient.

I'm interested in finding the Smithfield Greenway- I don't know where it is-- I've never heard of it! I'm off to google it...
    thanks so much!

4. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

The Smithfield greenway is a nice walk. It is in downtown Smithfield. I don't know if you know where the little parking area is at the river, but that is part of the walk. It actually ends at the communty park by the high school. It's not usually very busy either, which will probably be good for the dog.

5. Hotwire

Hotwire Well-Known Member

My wife and I always go to the Greenway in Smithfield because it is so close. We have 2 Siberian Huskies that we take there. We usually don't run into many other dog walkers. We park behind the Little Brown Jug and walk towards the community park/SSS high school.

I'm not really sure about the off leash thing at Lake Benson. We have ran into our old Italian teacher on the Greenway and he was allowing his dog to walk off leash. I have seen many people let their dogs off leash down by the river for them to swim. I'm not sure if it's allowed or not.

6. gracey1314

gracey1314 Well-Known Member

Umstead park off Glenwood Ave!

7. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

not a park and not in Raleigh but Clemmons Forest In Clayton is wonderful. I see people walking their dogs all the time. Its hardly ever crowded. I rarely see dogs off their leashes. It is definitely less crowded than Umstead in Raleigh but to me the trails are just as good.
    I dont know what the rules are but I see dogs off the leashes at Lake Benson chasing balls, frisbees, etc. in the open field all the time. Seems like it would be a town ordinance not a park ordinance though, right?

-db's wife

8. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Clemmons is one of my favorites as well,unfortunately it is still closed for the winter until next month,there have also been rumors that it might not be able to open back up due to budget. I wish it was open all year!
    There is also White Deer Park which is near Lake Benson and Legend Park in Clayton. Raven Rock State Park is another possibility but it's a bit of a drive.

9. smallone

Thank you all for your suggestions!

10. ssmm

ssmm Well-Known Member

Lake Benson and White Deer parks both have good trails, but dogs are supposed to be on leash the entire time (town ordinance). They do have doggie poop bag stations, which is nice.

11. ferrickhead28

ferrickhead28 Well-Known Member

I second it!!!

12. FrameMaMa

FrameMaMa Well-Known Member

I take my fur babies to benson park, and I will take them to the field to play with a ball or just run a bit, and I will keep them on the leash, but let them go...oops! Dropped the leash...hey! they are still on it!:lol:

13. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

I da Yardt!! Walk it in the yardt