Airplanes Overhead!?!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by mordorboy, Feb 14, 2011.

1. mordorboy

mordorboy Well-Known Member

Of course, that only makes sense that the planes would be overhead. Anybody have an idea why? Military or Commercial. Did RDU change patterns recently? There are a bunch over the 40/42 area over the last week. Freaking my young one out...Thanks.

2. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing.

3. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Tell your little ones that's the sound of freedom, being provided by courageous military aviators and crew.

4. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

I hope they're ours.:lol:

5. mordorboy

Tell your little ones that's the sound of freedom, being provided by courageous military aviators and crew.

We've tried, he's convinced it's 9/11 or the government is tracking him via his cell phone. Can you say young conspiracy theorist?

6. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I've been out and about over the past week and have noticed an increase in military air traffic. Not sure if its routine training or preparedness due to anxiety over what is going on in the Middle East. I even saw a couple of B-2s flying in formation at maybe 15,000 feet over the area a few days ago. Beautiful sight to say the least.

7. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

It's a usual normal thing .... they fly around the NASAD "radar" tower or is it East Coast Warning System Long Range Radar Unit near Raleigh Rd & NC 210. They try to swing under the "Eye in the Sky".
    We did see 2 pairs of Apache Attack Helicopters this w/e too. (Or at least that is what I thought they were.)

8. mordorboy

I thought it was military. My wife said she thought it was couple of Harriers one day. I assume up from Cherry Point...?? And then over the weekend I saw 2 very low flying planes, they looked commercial, but damn they were close together to be commercial. Must be more activity out of Pope and/or Johnson.

9. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Military. Commercial would never be allowed to fly that close together and in those kinds of patters. We saw them while we were out walking tonight. Its somewhat common.

10. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I like that, Hat. :cheers:

11. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

It's military. They're going to Seymour most likely. I think they're worried about the Middle East. Way too much traffic to be routine. I used to live at Cherry Point. You got a sense of what was "normal" traffic. This is not. They seem to be moving LOTS of aircraft. They are moving the intelligence gathering planes & the heavy lifting ones. Forget the names of those. They are flying really low. We are under their flight path it seems. We're used to it but this traffic is high in my opinion. Especially, the ones they are moving...odd. we were talking about this this past weekend. In the past, when there is this much traffic, tends to be something big happening shortly after. Has me a little on edge. We're flying internationally in March most likely. Not looking forward to it. Maybe someone else on here has some answers. Just noisy.

Stephanie-- mom to 7

12. CrzyForBaseball

CrzyForBaseball Well-Known Member

Before the big growth spurt in this area (McGee's), this was a daily sight. I can remember when I was young, the planes flying so low near the tree tops, you could actually see the pilots. All in practicing the radar runs as someone previously said. The radar is a bit different now, and the planes are higher... heck the trees have grown a lot the last 40 years :), but it's all done in the to make them better. The better they are, the safer we are!

13. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Most of them seem to be at night, but we saw a couple at dusk on Saturday. C-130's I believe. Headed south to Pope / Fort Bragg. Maybe bringing troops and equipment home?

14. tukasiya

tukasiya Well-Known Member

15. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

New to the area? I love living in a place where they do maneuvers or practice or have restricted airspace or flight patterns or whatever. We call it "invasions" and run outside to look. :) I don't pretend to know all the terminology...I just really enjoy the sights and sounds (Top Gun is in my top 10 of all time!) and am comforted that it is in defense of our country. When there are flyovers for football games or other events in the area (even as far away as UNC), sometimes they will hang out over our county until the right time to fly over. The trees in our yard have gotten significantly taller and bushier it seems since we moved in 14 years ago, but it doesn't stop me from trying to catch a glimpse!

16. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

THis is JoCo - they're flying low, looking for your stills and weed.... :lol:

17. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

oh, yeah, and that too. how did it take us 2 pages to get to the obvious answer?!!!

18. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Bragg usually has increased activity 3-4 times a year. From what I have seen recently, they are definitely conducting some heavy training right now. When I was down in Goldsboro last week, it seemed more business as usual for Seymour. They are routinely flying the F-15Es down there due to having four squadrons and being the sole training center for Strike Eagle pilots/WSOs. Plus, they have a large wing of KC-135 Stratotankers and they stay busy, too. Usually in southern Johnston County, however its likely going to be Bragg flying low and slow at nighttime. The sounds of high-flying military jets are most likely Seymour's. Ever so often you'll see Marine jet activity up this way, but very seldom. I was more surprised at the B-2s the other day though. Outside of an airshow, I had never seen them in eastern NC skies before...and to see two at one time was a treat since I've loved military aircraft since my childhood.

Speaking of military aircraft, Seymour Johnson will be having their 2-day air show in April. They skipped last year after having the Blue Angels two years back to back in '08 and '09. This year, the Thunderbirds return and of course the F-15E demo team. I just love to watch them put the Strike Eagle through its paces. The website is www.wingsoverwayneairshow.com for those that want to check it out.

19. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Thanks for the website! I haven't been since '08/'09 and we had a blast. Looking forward to this year's show!

20. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Well-Known Member

I saw 7 or 8 choppers out of Bragg flying night missions last night. Very cool.