Flu, flu go away and don't come back any other day!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by 2not2, Feb 15, 2011.

1. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

Wow, almost a week into this and my girls aren't getting better, in fact I think they are worse. And, yesterday i started coughing...oh, yay. I can deal with it, I am just tired of my babies being sick and trying to make sure the boys don't get it! I guess it's inevitable(?) at this point!

Who else has it at their house and how long is it lasting?

2. LansingDr

LansingDr Well-Known Member

I have had it for 3 weeks on and off, I think it is gone and wham...sick again. My roomie had it for a week or so and almost everyone I know has had it this year. It sucks!

3. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Our doc said it is lasting up to 12 days in some people. 2 of the 9 of us had the flu this year. One of those same 2 got strep right afterwards. Get well soon. Definitely sucks to be sick. I'm hoping we're over all the illnesses going around lately. But, who knows.

Stephanie-- mom to 7

4. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

I'm so scared. We are leaving for Disney tomorrow and I have this fear one of us is going to get sick. The flu at Disney would not be good. So far we are all ok. My daughter said 9 kids in class were out last week with the flu. I just hope all of them were well before they came back to school.

5. Savealot

Savealot Well-Known Member

Both of my kids have had the flu. My son has had type A and now has type B. I have taken them to the doc. in time to get the tamiflu and it has really worked great! My son was out of school the first time for 3 days and this time for only 1 day. I will get the flu shot next year. I know it doesn't cover every strain of flu but it's better to be safe than sorry.

I feel really guilty that I didn't get them the flu shot this year. I had forgot to get it for so long that I said well there is alot of folks that never get the flu and don't get the flu shot. You always hear people say that. Well this was the first year we didn't get it and they got sick.
    I think some people do not take their kids to the doctor and they really have the flu and are just thinking it's just a virus. Tamiflu works! or at least cuts the time of sickness I think.

6. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Just getting over it...had it for a week. Rough stuff. :ack:

7. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

8. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

I used Theraflu. I drank so much of that stuff it's scary.

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

It's been a bad year for the creeping crud for sure. I'm on my second round of antibiotics, been sick for over a month. Was barely functioning last week and would have been in the bed had a family emergency not required otherwise. :?

10. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

At our house...flu = been there and done that, threw out the t-shirt...stomach virus = home currently under siege, and will burn the t-shirt once we have it in our possession. So ready for everyone to be healthy. Need that 75 degree day that's coming and to open up the windows for some fresh, clean air.

11. Snuffyjo

Snuffyjo Well-Known Member

Tamiflu is the only thing that works. It is only available from a Dr. thru prescription, and even with insurance it is pricey, but it works. Not to be confused with Theraflu which comes in liquid form and can be purchased over the counter. I got the flu a week before I was scheduled for knee replacement surgery, and went to urgent care right away and was put on Tamiflu and a Z-pak to help ward off any secondary infections. Was well enough to have the surgery. My too stubborn to go to the Dr husband got it a day or 2 after I did and he is still coughing his lungs up.

Also I got the flu shot in October. Dr said there are no guarantees!

12. Savealot

Savealot Well-Known Member

2not2 - Wow!

I hope ya'll get rid of that crap soon. I'm airing out the house today, got the windows open. I'm about to freeze, I hate the smell of lysol now! Changing sheets, washing blankets etc. then I'm going back to bed. I'm not sick but just worn out from taking care of all the sick folks. I could not be a nurse! Bless them.

13. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

You know, if you have a good doctor, he/she may give you a prescription to carry with you...just in case. That way you could get it filled on the road (if needed) and it would at least lessen the symptoms while traveling should a family member develop the flu.

14. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

I feel for you...and the first thought I had yesterday was to open up the windows and get some fresh air in the house. Then I remembered, my husband had someone put plastic on all the windows right around Christmas.

15. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

That is my plan today, too. Even though they are not better yet, those blankets and pillows they have been wrapped up in are just harboring germs. When they are better, I will do it all over again! My oldest son is beginning to not like Lysol, either, but I go in and spray his room every day just in case the little ones went in there!