Airplanes Overhead!?!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by mordorboy, Feb 14, 2011.

1. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

Speaking of military aircraft, Seymour Johnson will be having their 2-day air show in April. They skipped last year after having the Blue Angels two years back to back in '08 and '09. This year, the Thunderbirds return and of course the F-15E demo team. I just love to watch them put the Strike Eagle through its paces. The website is www.wingsoverwayneairshow.com for those that want to check it out.[/QUOTE]

Thank you!!!! I've been talking about this for years, and this year I think my boys are finally old enough to go. I'm marking our calendar and packing the earplugs now!!

2. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Thanks so much! My kids have never been. This may be the year to go. Thanks for sharing the link.

stephanie-- mom to 7

3. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

having been stationed at Shady J during the transition from F-4 to F-15E I can understand, however it wasn't till I was taking part in ORE's while stationed in England that I discovered the ultimate USAF aircraft (aside from the retired SR-71) and that would be the A-10 Warthog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRYcyyELjMM

It's good at what it does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l9qZCAVE9k&feature=related

4. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

Thank you!!!! I've been talking about this for years, and this year I think my boys are finally old enough to go. I'm marking our calendar and packing the earplugs now!![/quote]

Thanks for that.....we went to the airshow a few years ago and enjoyed it!

5. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

The A-10 has always been a favorite of mine, too. Slow but extremely lethal on the battlefield with its maneuverability, armament and armored plating. Actually, they did a demo of it at one of the SJ air shows a few years ago. Funny how it was questioned whether it was really a worthwhile program until Desert Storm where it shined. As a kid, I used to admire them when visiting Myrtle Beach. Saw a few every so often when they were based out of Pope, but never see them any more.

6. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Bragg units are home and getting back to their mission training. Whereas downrange the units were utilized in other fashions, now home they;re going back to the fundamentals of Airborne operations, supplemented by subordinate and supporting units..even the loggies are part of this.

7. 26.2

26.2 Well-Known Member

Warthog is a great tank killer--thus its slowness. I was an Air Traffic Controller in the military and we used to give the A-10 pilots grief that they were the only aircraft succeptable to a bird strike from behind.

8. CraigSPL

Now that's funny.

9. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Agreed. That's funny stuff. I once read (or heard) that the refueling tankers had to slow to just above stall speed to refuel A-10s. Not sure if that's true or not.

10. CraigSPL

Actually the engines are designed to push the plane almost to Mach, however the airframe design in general isn't built to with stand that kind of stress, while still being able to perform the manuvers that the plane is capable of performing. It is however designed to be slow, low flying and deadly quiet till it's too late, and to take a beating from ground fire.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011