Torsion Springs for a garage door

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by firefly69, Feb 13, 2011.

1. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

If anyone knows a local place to buy torsion springs for a garage door, would you please let me know? Last night while preparing dinner, we heard what sounded like someone plowing through our garage door. Turns out it popped a spring. We have checked Lowe's, Sears, Home Depot, and Ace with no luck. We can order them online, but did not want to wait for shipping to get it fixed. We don't need installation and are really just looking for a pair of springs. TIA if you know of anywhere locally that will not try to sell us installation or charge an arm and a leg for a $50 spring.

2. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

try clifton overhead garage doors, maybe you can go to them and pick up the parts if they have them.

3. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Thanks Robbie! We will give them a shout tomorrow!

4. trev47

trev47 Well-Known Member

When we had a problem with one of ours, I started looking online on how to change one. I have never seen so many warnings from real people regarding any home repair. I agree with the statement above. Consider having a professional do it.

5. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

The torque necessary to open those doors is strong enough to maim or kill. Not worth taking the chance to find out you were badly mistaken. Call a pro!

6. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

I agree, but then again, what do I know?

7. Daredevil

Daredevil Well-Known Member

Garage door

Definately call a pro. Its not worth losing your life to save a few bucks. You can watch them work & I bet you'll be glad you let them do it.

8. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I agree then with everyone. Call Clifton and have them come out and do it. They are reasonable. and not worth risking your life.

9. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

That being said, my DH disagrees. :banghead:

I wouldn't even go out there when he was trying to raise the door to free the cars. I read all of the warnings online and showed them to him to no avail.
    I do appreciate all of the replies and will be sure to share with him that it is not just me being a nagging wife (this time).8)

We are planning to replace both, PRM, but he is convinced he can do it himself. Thanks again for all of the concern and recommendations. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.

10. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Changing the spring is not that hard.

11. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Thanks...I will share that info with him. I am hoping he will at least wait until someone else is around before changing it out. He is pretty smart and handy, but I am a worrier. Thanks again for the tips. :)

12. kansascon

kansascon Well-Known Member

If you haven't found anyone yet, give Jerry a call at 669-5848. He has over 20 years experience and may have a spare spring at his house.

13. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Just make sure his life insurance is paid up before he does it. :mrgreen:

Speaking of insurance, PRM I haven't forgotten you . . I'll call soon.

14. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Ditto.... PRM did you get me email yet? My first reply to you got bounced back to me on Saturday :?

15. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Funny you should say that...I mailed that premium today!!

Anyway, he gave in. Clifton is coming tomorrow! :hurray:

Thanks to all for the input.

16. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Good for you. Some things are just worth paying for.

17. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Ok, so how did your garage repair go? Were they reasonable? Let us all know how you made out. Thanks!

18. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Well, they couldn't fix it yesterday because they didn't have the right spring when they arrived. One guy did come back and fix it today, so we are pretty happy about that. I wasn't here, but my hubby seemed pleased with the person who came and the job he did. Also, I thought they were reasonable at $245 to replace both springs and make sure everything was working as it should. I would definitely use them again.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2011
  19. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Great, glad all went well and the job was done safely. I use them and like them also.