Year Round School

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by MrsPeepers, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Again HATT6 THANK YOU as an AIG parent of the higher level critical thinking child.

Parents - CALL your SCHOOL. ASK Questions. Gather Information. Do not sit back and wait. ACT NOW!

2. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

lol, they read it trust me....

3. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

This is funny b/c one of the admins let it slip when we were at an IEP meeting last year. Trust me, they read, just don't write on here. The teachers I've spoke w/ thus far are also aware of all the mess going on w/ this proposal. This will mess us ALL up. Especially, the kids. BTW, this is probably the worst thing you can do for special ed kids. Takes awhile to get them back on track & instead of once a year, they'll have to do it a few times a year. Makes no sense to me. Really, how is cooling a school during the middle of July & August a cost saving measure??? I know there are people at the schools all year but I think operating costs would be lower if they kept the current schedule. One thing is for sure, this is going to get very interesting over the next month.

Stephanie-- mom to 7

4. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

:iagree: I know some do...for a fact.

5. kmollins

kmollins Well-Known Member

This has nothing to do with achievement and everything to do with money! Less buildings and buses will be needed.

6. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I remember I called a principal once to ask about something I read on 4042, she said "oh, that's the devil's place". lol

7. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

:lol::lol::lol: well we all do fit in a nice big handbasket:lol:

8. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

I received a communique recently that troubles me.

In my mind, the discussion concerning issues affecting the families in this county should be discussed openly and frankly, especially with elected officials. The takeaway that I have received is that an elected official with whom I was communicating about this, apparently does not wish for our discussion to be publicized. I'm hoping that I have misinterpreted the message, yet I fear that it is exactly as I read it.

Does anyone in this county ever expect open and honest discussion between voters and the elected? Am I being naive thinking that matters of this import for both families and public expenditure deserve to be in the open?

The three elementary schools will vote by secret ballot on Friday. Apparently, the principals from WS and SS who use this AEC and are obvious supporters may speak to the staffs at those voting on Friday.

Who will speak in opposition?

I remain unconvinced that we've gotten past the old ways of shady deals and back room politics.

Why are those in power here so afraid of open and honest discussion, especially concerning expenditure of tax dollars?

I don't roll over for anyone!

9. Crockadoodledoo

Crockadoodledoo Well-Known Member

Per a teacher's meeting held today (Feb, 16)

The staff ballots at the schools will be collected, put in a sealed envelope and then taken to the central office to be counted/tabulated. Transparency at its best.

10. Hatteras6

Letter to Dr Croom

Dear Doctor Croom,

I am writing to ask that you direct a postponement of at least a week for teachers and staff of the Cleveland Elementary Schools consideration of adopting the Academic Enhanced Calendar.

This issue will materially affect many families and children in the Cleveland area.

As it deals with possible changes in the expenditure of tax dollars, this needs to happen in as open and public environment as possible.

Many parents and teachers feel that it has not. I am concerned with the apparent rush to judgement on this issue. I have raised several questions as to it, but have not received solid answers.

As an example, principals from those schools currently on the AEC are presenting information to the school staffs. What about the opposite view point? Who will speak for that? When will they have an opportunity to do so?

As an example, I am hearing from veteran staff that many do not support this adoption, yet feel that their viewpoint carries no weight, given the high level pressure to adopt it.

As a parent on the advisory council, and the loudest advocate for my child's education, I am the first to brag about our schools when we do it right. I am also the first to criticize when the way we do things doesn't seem right.

Delay of the staff vote on this issue of a week, at a minimum, permits open, frank discussion with all stakeholders, teachers, staff, and parents. We should all have access to the same data. Delaying the staff vote presents no issues that have to be addressed in the next 48 hours.

Please delay the staff votes for at least a week, and help to present all credible, factual information about adoption of this calendar.

I have raised several issues about this, copying you on the first letter. I have yet to have those concerns allayed.

Best regards,

11. Hatteras6

Response from Dr Croom

Thank you for your interest in your school and community. The survey of employees and parents concerning the academic enhancement calendar is simply to determine the interest from both groups. It does NOT mean that this calendar will be in place for the 2011-2012 school year. There are many more factors that must be considered.

It is obvious that you oppose such a movement. The only purpose that we have in the alternative calendar is to enhance the opportunity for all students to be successful. This is not a year-round calendar and to present as such is simply misleading. It shortens the summer break by three weeks and places the same amount of time in the school year for an opportunity for enhancement.

The change to an alternative calendar has many steps and the process is only beginning. If the process is approved it will be for the benefit of children. That's our mission.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  12. Hatteras6

Response from me to Dr Croom, based on his email

Dear Doctor Croom,

Thanks for your rapid response.

I am not so much opposed as I am wondering what the data source if for supporting this consideration. The data I have seen is equivocal, at best.

Using two Title One schools as the measuring stick is inaccurate. WS and SS have entirely different economic demographics as a start. To compare their successes for Cleveland schools is comparing apples to oranges. Both are fruit, yet hardly interchangeable.

The academic performance data for those Ttitle One schools should show improvement, given the additional resources dedicated to them following their poor AYP/EOG assessments.

To suggest that what worked for them would work for us, without data that reflects the difference in makeup is not based on fact.

It appears that the positive comments from the enhanced calendar are based on anecdotal evidence, at large, but not directly comparable to other schools.

As an economist, I trust the independent data that compares the factors, ceteris paribus. I do not feel that this is the case.

13. Hatteras6

How about this as a comment from a member of the school board?
    Incorrectly operating under the assumption that the questions concerning this issue are of little interest to the taxpaying, voting public, I was castigated for advising a board member that I was going to share the substance of our emails, (you know the public records stuff between taxpayer and elected persons, especially concerning expenditures of tax supported public school funds.

Part of the response from a board member, "Now I understand why my colleagues on the board do not indulge in these conversations."

This, from an elected member of the board.

14. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Teachers, TA & Staff vote on FRIDAY!?!?!?.... That is Tomorrow. WOW that is QUICK.

15. Hatteras6

Another consideration should be the impact that the schedule swap will have on secondary employment for teachers. Quite a few hold second jobs. I guess it may have something to do with the cost of the college degree and the salary paid to teachers, especially those newer ones, juggling student loans, living expenses, and the personal expenses a teacher takes on for supplementing classroom supplies and such.

16. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

If I were one of the teachers voting, I would vote "no" if only because I had not been given all of the facts. I would demand unbiased information before making a decision.

On another note, what options would high school teachers have when their children are on a different schedule than them. Or any parent with a job for that matter. I know my family can't afford to secure year round daycare for multiple children. Would we just have to send them during the remediation/enrichment days and risk total burn out?

I do not feel that anyone is informed enough to make an educated decision. The high school teachers know nothing about this. Even though they are not directly involved, you would think that someone would keep them in the know. They are, after all, part of the "organization."

17. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

It's a Gateway Drug for YEAR ROUND SCHOOLS!!!!!! Just say No!!!

(I just read this - thought it was a great slogan!)

18. Hatteras6

And nothing on this? Or are we just so jaded that we've allowed this to become the way business is done?

19. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Hatt- That burns me so much that I cannot even reply......

20. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

Not surprising, but still pretty disgusting. It would definitely mean more to me if you would release the name of this elected board member so that others can remember to vote against them when the time comes, or better yet--embarrass them into resignation immediately, at least make them publicly explain what they could possibly mean by the bolded statement. I would like to know why they are afraid to answer the questions that have been asked? Did they not do any research to support their claims about changing to a modified calendar? Are they making false proclamations and knowingly presenting them as fact?