A place for random thoughts....

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Mar 15, 2006.

1. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

I think the food funeral thing is how one was brought up.

When my grandparents passed away in NJ, we had a ton of people bring food to their house for all of us. Also, after the funeral service we all went to the church and had a luncheon, this was put on by their church and the congregation basically made all the food, we as a family did not pay a thing.

Maybe it is more a country thing rather than a north/south thing...I don't know

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

It was different, that is for sure. I guess that's just how we were brought up too, if there is a problem, bring a chicken casserole or a chocolate cake. 8)

3. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Heres a little more of how my experiences up north are.....except for immediate family and very close family friends no one drops by the house before the wake. The only place to sign the guestbook is at the funeral home. We don't do the funeral wreath thing on the house or put signs on the road to "Go Slow" near the house.

4. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

When my grandparents passed away......we did not need food for a very long time. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. When my mother passed away it was the same way. We were able to grieve and just graze, if we wanted. Granted all are from the South and are Christian.

When my ex's mother-in-law passed it was different. Jewish, from New York, etc., etc. She lived in Boca Raton, FL at the time of passing. We met with the Rabbi, he told us what food should be served, how to eat it, the significance of each item, he told us how to grieve and he told us how to dispose of her items. Naturally, my family sent flowers.......they did not receive any flowers except for the ones sent by family.......:shock: my family then sent a food gift basket that was huge. Needless to say, it was not Kosher. The funny thing was that her husband (my then father-in-law) took me away from everyone and gave me the non-Kosher items and told me to keep them and eat away, out of site. I laughed and so did he. He asked how he was supposed to handle the flowers and food basket and I told him I would send a thank you, which is appropriate in our faith and area of the country.

Different strokes,
    Sherry

P.S. I ate every bite of that non-Kosher food. :hurray: Thanks to my family!!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  5. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Yep, Wakes are different.

Yep, the Jewish people do not have the guest book either nor do they put the signs the signs on the road.

Sherry

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  6. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Yep, that sounds familiar...and I was raised here.

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

So if you call a business and you obviously have the very wrong number..............don't ask me to be your 411 directory. REALLY dude? I am not the operator. :?

8. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

:lol: I've had people do that to me too! 'So, do you know that number? or can you look it up for me? Uh, no! :banghead:

9. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

well ya know me, i always end up googling for them:oops::oops:

10. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I've done that before... back in the day before the internet reached the office lol. I had to let my fingers do the walking. I figured they just didn't have a phone book handy.

11. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

I guess we military minds think alike, Craig. I've gone so far as to remind her that it's Jimmy Buffet and all kinds of Beach Music.

The wailing I'd like to have is the partying type...jump, jive, wail, sing, drink, and celebrate my life. It's a sure bet that I enjoyed most of it, and my family should celebrate that.

12. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

:iagree::iagree:

"Prop me up beside the jukebox when I die" :lol:
    not literally tho, that would be weird.

Oh and "don't come see me when I'm dead if you didn't come see me when I was living" ~ HG :mrgreen:

13. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

My ex in-aws always said that. When FIL died, a half brother and wife who had not been to see him in a very long time even tho in the same town went to the funeral home and ex asked them to leave...reason being, "You didn't come see them when they were alive you don't need to see them now."

14. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Ain't that the truth!!

I never cease to be amazed at the vultures who start circling either. My step-father's brother called my mother the DAY of the service to ask about some items he wanted. REALLY???? How crass. :ack::ack::ack: He didn't come to the funeral, but he wants my mom to drop everything and start shipping stuff to CA. I would have LOVED to have handled that phone call. *******.

15. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

license plate I spotted on the way in this morning

GOD&AJOB

that pretty much covers it.

16. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Well I don't have the hope diamond so no one will want anything I got. :lol:

17. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Me either!!! I just hate the thoughts of someone picking through my life, deciding what to keep and what to trash. Ugg

18. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

I bought a new purse yesterday. :) My 15 year old Daughter is trying to gank it from me. :cry: I thought for sure she wouldn't like anything I picked out.:lol:

19. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

can i go home yet - it's been a long week

20. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Bossman just got back from the 4042 intersection and said it looked to him like one the the homeless men got hit by a truck. Pure shame, but I am not suprised.